Bongo - free-ride Meinl Bongos

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Tonio » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:07 pm

Guest wrote:.... Vaya mi gente.. Mr. Toni thank you for your input.i feel that mixing animal skins and synthetic heads on a bongo is not really the thing to do on a professional level..first of all, traditionally, there is basically 4 or 5 different animal heads you can put or conga or bongo drums.. there are calf, buffalo,
cowhide and mule. the companies that have a monopoly on the synthetic heads are Reo and Evens each and everyone of these head i mention both animal and synthetic have their own unique sounds and tone. for an example, mule heads sounds different then calf, Reo fiberskyns sounds different then Evans. you see what i am talking about, it doesn't make sense to put a Remo synthetic head on the bongo macho and put a mule skin on the hembra if you want a uniform sound.
synthetic heads with animal head doesn't give you uniformly a consistent and precise sound. i think it is best to stay with heads that are comparable in sounds such as, mule heads with macho and hembra. calf heads with macho and hembra,and Remo fiber skyns both on the macho and hembra.. look at your bongo like a mathematical equation, what you do to one side you do to the other...

Michaelangelo, I understand your points. YMMV
But remember I do have a mixed head set(fiber macho. buffalo-hembra) Lp-Vaje and Lp Gen II's w/ original buffalo. So I am set!!
One thing I can't agree on is your statement:
>>look at your bongo like a mathematical equation, what you do to one side you do to the other...<<

Actually I should have said fiberglass and buffalo not mule. I mount heads myself, so sometimes I forget which is which. I also have some cowhide for congas, and calf for bongos too.

I need to check out the Meinl's, I used to have the floatune quinto, which I liked very much. Allthough it was rather heavy, the tone was outstanding. I had a miss match with about 4 different mfg's so I needed to get rid of some to scale down. At one time a had Skin on skin(full set), LP(2 sets), Gons Bops 9 3/4q,10 3/4 q,1 11/2 tumba , Meinl q, Toca q, segun.

T

Edited By Tonio on 1082668232
Tonio

Postby franc » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:20 am

vaya, michaelangelo!!! sure does make sence what you mentioned about skin heads. i can't agree with you more. i don't know much about skins, but agree on your statement...''look at your bongos like a mathematical equation''. like you, music is a mathematical equation. skin should be the same for macho and hembra. should have a unique sound and tone, like you said. it's like the strings in a bass guitar. are the same, but diferent gauge in diameter. with the same skins you'll accomplish the perfect tune. ACHé to you and all in the forum. your ''pana'', franc:cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Michaelangelo Rosario » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:42 am

Mr. franc thank you for your note.. I am happy that you enjoy reading about my topics i think what i have to say is very informative and controversial the free-ride bono is one of the best keep secret in hand percussion I also think mixing synthetics and animal heads are not the way to go!

mucho ache
Michaelangelo Rosario
Michaelangelo Rosario

Postby Tonio » Sun May 02, 2004 3:33 am

Michaelangelo, and all hope all is well.
I recorded my "bongos" for you and anyone else that can tell the difference.
I will post them in a while.
T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Sun May 02, 2004 7:24 pm

Tonio

Postby Tonio » Sun May 02, 2004 7:31 pm

Hmm, can't seem to get the one 2nd up. I'll try agian after my Cinco de Mayo gig.

T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Mon May 03, 2004 12:29 am

Tonio

Postby Tonio » Mon May 03, 2004 12:33 am

OK, both files are posted.

Can anyone tell me which is which?
Not necessarily in order: LPValje w/ Remo Fibersyn on macho, and (stock) buffalo on hembra. The other is LP Gen II with (stock) buffalo on both macho and hembra.

Can you tell which is which?

T

Edited By Tonio on 1083544424
Tonio

Previous

Return to Bongo