Humidity and drum head tone - My damb airconditioning is screwing meup

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby clownmanus2000 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:27 pm

I am from time to time rerealizing that my bongo heads are singnificantly more soulfull out in the florida humidity , I have seen numerous posts on sythetic heads , i am leaning towards this but ive "somehow" become addicted to the continual retuning process invoved with playing outside with my LP matador bongos.
I am not finding any results under the search for "humidity" on this bongo fourm. thought i would try and lure some commentary out of yall.
clownmanus2000
clownmanus2000

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:56 pm

Cannot explain it to you in a "technically correct" way but here we go...Heat or "humidity like" will make your heads to be "tuned up" higher causing you to turn your "tuning down"....Cold weather will turn your tuning down. If you use natural heads is something to consider to keep your tuning wrench close. (By the way, do you have the factory Matador heads???? They are not the best...)

Synthetic heads are OK and I like them very much but after using them for awhile they do have their downside.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:33 pm

I beat the heat when i lived on Miami beach and jammin on 79ths st was by using "baby powder" on the heads before playing. It keeps them dry and the humidity doesn't effect them. Got the idea from tabla drummers of India where there is some serious heat......"JC" Johnny Conga....X Miamian souwesero.........
JohnnyConga

Postby clownmanus2000 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:38 pm

Ok re-phrase ,
I am loging on to discuss what i have suspected that my "factory matador" heads are not adiquite for my needs, Ive come to realize the smaller "macho"?is it? is not consistant with respect to its thickness, the larger head is more of what i regard as a common "so so" head, its relitivly uniform,
The sound is brilliant on my irregular head where its so thin i can see my hand through it in cerntian areas. when tight "tabla' souning, I like this, I am going to try the Xray film advice ive seen on several posts. sorry this post is so jumbled, im refering to both responces to my question, My adrenaline is pumping after a blood curdling hour of pounding my instrument,
I was discussing before that cooler dryer air seems to "SEEMS?" to provide a duller tone,Would the mass increase ever so slightly causing more air to move?. I keep the heads tuned relitively the same under any conditions.
I am aware of the effects of moisture on natural skins, I think your explation might throw off some of those new to this. I play outside alot and keep an adjustable wrench around my neck tied with a shoelase, I enjoy the practice of tweaking my sound on the fly."i whish Haha".
Anyway the baby poweder tip as rewarded me for my efforts loging on today, ill experiment at once,
What the #### kind of skins should i get? I have been trying to find some synthetic heads , as i am a vegitarian , "the sort that shuns animal products", Im so fruggal i would hate myslef if i were to discard heads that were not totally worn out,

clownmanus2000
clownmanus2000

Postby Raymond » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:23 pm

With synthetic heads you'll get a good sound plus they will be more gentle to your hands....Recommendations???? Remo Fiberskyns. (Matadors have the LP standard size). If not, try Remo's NuSkyns. Do not recommend Evans'....(Personally, I am a Remo Fyberskyn type of guy...)

Saludos!
Raymond

Return to Bongo