interval between macho & hembra

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Richard Groff » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:27 pm

I'm just wondering what thoughts you guys have about the interval between the macho and the hembra. From what I've been able to catch on record and on the internet, it seems that some people think it should be a fourth and some an octave. When is each appropriate or do you not change it depending on your circumstance?

From my limited experience I think I prefer the feel of the bongo when I tune the hembra up to a fourth below the macho, but that might just be because I'm still a little cautious of cranking the macho up to the pitch that an octave below (the hembra) still feels active. Right now I tune the macho first, going up 1/4 turns until the drum comes alive and sounds "right"...but maybe I shouldn't stop there :laugh: I guess like all new players I'm a little gun shy about splitting the head.

Any thoughts?
Richard Groff

Postby zaragemca » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:57 am

Greeting,in reality the tuning of the Bongos are related to the others percussion instruments which are going to interact with it,also the 'right pitch' is going to depend on the diameter,the type of wood,the type of skin and skills of the player since the pitch of the instruments could be modified according to where,and how the pressure is applyed to the head with one hand, when it is beat it with the other.

Edited By zaragemca on 1110420189
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby franc » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:10 am

richard
i have not heard that you tune your bongos a fourth apart. in conga tuning , yes!! a fouth apart. in bongos i have not , i could be wrong :^\ i have always tune mine about an octave apart. i tune the macho about an A and the hembra about an octave lower. you can tune them with the help of a piano, guitar, guitar tuner and so on. all bongoceros have their special way to tune the bongos. you will later on tune yours to your liking. but is usually an octave apart. if i'm wrong please anyone out there let me know ok. i will , like always, appreciate it. my best!!!! your friend, franc :rock:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Richard Groff » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:58 am

I thought a fourth sounded too close to me as well, but I read this:

"The hembra is approximately a forth below the macho, perhaps not quite as tight."

here:
http://www.rhythmweb.com/bongo/care_and_tuning.htm

I was wondering if there was a tradition of tuning one way or the other, or maybe this is just one of those internet mistakes that is now being perpetuated across the web.
Richard Groff

Postby franc » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:26 am

richard,
in this forum in the bongo section. go to the page num. 3 and read more tuning on bongos. my best, franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby bongo_john_uk » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:31 pm

At the moment I am mostly writing and recording so have the luxury of tuning all drums to notes that fit the song best. Apart from being time consuming tuning everything the beauty of tunes arising from the drums as well as rythm can very rewarding. Obviously, this is not possible live unless you want to carry a #### of lot of gear around with you.
bongo_john_uk

Postby Diceman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:25 pm

Is there a right and wrong about any drum?
If I am playing on my own, I want a nice high bell sound from the macho and a tuneful note from the hembra, so the difference between the tuning is obvious to the listener. In combo the macho will always sound different to the other drums, but the hembra should be tuned in with the congas,the toms or the timbales to give a pleasing chord or interval. To hear a hembra, congas or timbales played not in tune with each other is sloppy and careless in my book.
My humble view, hope it helps
Sabor
Diceman
Diceman

Return to Bongo