Annoying Overtone JCR Campana

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby caballoballo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:09 pm

Bongoceros,

I just bought a new Campana made by JCR and it has an overtone like a ringing that keeps going on and on while I play,it is annoying and I hate it. The problem is,I gave my other old JCR Campana to a friend and now I am stock with this funny sound. I try to dampen the sound by inserting some of those rubber pieces that have glue under but then the sound became too dull. Any suggestion before I dump this Campana ? Or any suggestion about which other brand Campana to buy? I am thinking about LP Model ES-9,also Villa Music sells Remo And Meiln,anybody has experience with the last 2 ? Another Issue is a Timbal Campana not too old made By Osiris Percussion in the Bronx,that one belong to a friend who was complaining about a funny sound and after I did a magnetic particles test,the resulted is cracks all over,I guess those people at Osiris don't have a sense of quality. Pa' Encima
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Ecuarumba » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:33 pm

I had a similar problem with a bell from JCR, specifically the Med High one. With bells, I use electrical tape to get rid of ringing until the bell is broken in enough to go without. I've seen guys use duck tape, but it leaves it all sticky after it's time to take it off. I've also seen some almost cover their bells in tape, but personally, I would just go get another bell if it came to that. lol
Try a strip at a time down the inside of the bell (mine has two right now) or a stip along one side of the outer edge (I have a bell with a strip going all around the edge). That should do the trick.

Once it's broken in after a while, the JCR bells are incomparable.
On another note.....I just tried a Pearl Timbale bell that sounded really good, maybe you could give that a shot.
Ecuarumba

Postby caballoballo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:53 pm

Thank You Bro, The Jcr is hand held. I did try with electrical tape on the outside of the bell but without any change in sound. I know home depot sell the type of rounded piece of glued rubber or silicone which is use for crystal tables or as feets under computer key boards. I may try some of that or the tape inside. On the mean time is a matter of trial and error. I just called villa music and they have Meiln so tomorrow I drop by their place with my duro cowbell beater to try some Meiln cowbells.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:26 pm

Hey dude, an old trick we use here if we get this problem with a bell, is to cut a small little block of rubber approx 1cm x 1cm
and super glue it to the inside of the bell, a few cm down from the mouth. How many little rubber blocks you decide to use depends on how bad the overtones are.
See how you go, normally shouldnt need more than say 3 - 4.
Maybe 2 on one inner side, 2 on the other inner side. (similar to as seen on LP's bells)
But first try with just 1 small piece, and go from there.

Also experiment with different sticks.

Ache.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1128617588
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:52 pm

LP Model ES-9

Nice bell, one of my favourites. I like the low pitched, songo style bells. Not a fan of the high pitched bells.
I normally go with the version for timbal/drumkit, that has the bracket, serves multiple purpose and I find it easier or more comfortable to hold when playing hand bell.

Fine choice in bell.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby caballoballo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:35 pm

Thanks Abakua,

I hope I have the time tomorrow to do as you said. We have a gig at night so maybe I be short on time but I want to have my campana sounding at her best,I know I seen those rubber peices already cut and with glue at the home depot,I get some this evening. I tried to buy the Es-9 down here but Tropical Music store was out of them so I have to check another place or make and order via internet,also I am going to try the Meilns at villa music. Pa' encima
Josean
caballoballo

Postby onile » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:32 pm

Alafia Mi Hermano Caballoballo!
You know we are always looking for that perfect sounding bell!
Yo tengo varias campanas hecho por JCR y LP, pero siempre ay un timbre que molesta el oído más que queremos. What I have done with some of my bells, is to let the elements work on them. I put them outside in the grass during the rainy season, a little rust gets on them then I clean them up as much as I can, but the sound comes out a bit better.

You know how it’s always the older bells, ones that have been used more times than others that sound better! Con el sudor de la manos se mejora el timbre de la campana mi pana! :laugh:
I like using the deeper sounding ES-9 also, like brother Abakua stated, it has a fatter sound to the groove. JCR has one that has a similar sound, of course there is the over tone, but I normally cut strips of weather stripping and glue them on the inside of the bell, close to the back however. It's cheap, and if you don't like the sound, you can remove it and replace it wherever you want on the bell.

Adelante mi hermano!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1128627278
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Raymond » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:46 pm

We have talked about it here a lot...JCR bells, since they are hand made, are better to be tried before you purchased so you know what you are getting. You do not have that problem with "mass produced", aka LPs, bells because they always sound they way the other ones sound....

Couple of suggestions...the tape or the most obvious thing....play it...break it in....Most JCR bells need to be break in to get their peak sound. (Can't tell if it is a timbale or handheld bongo but it is the same)....

Most percussionists that are into JCR cowbells tend to buy more than one....Sometimes we get a "right one" right away, sometimes we don't but since we like the pitch, we get it anyway....What I do, and I know a lot of people that do that, is to play them at home, rehersals, etc, to break them in a little bit. When they are ready I used them in gigs... (Go into my car and you will find at least one JCR handheld that I played in traffic jams to break in...This method has worked...I've heard people that put them in the roof and leave them there until they rust a little and then they use it...Weird but true)!

Also, some bells are better to play live than anything else because of the overtones....(I bought some half moons that I never liked the sound when played in closed places because of the overtones and the "tin sound"...However, I use it for open spaces and is great....) (The overtones in bells you are the only one probably listening to them...afterawhile, after break in, they will go).

These JCR bells are great bell but you have to try them and know what you are getting...It took me awhile and the advise of some people to get the picture and get the right ones....

The bells are like baseball gloves to ballplayers....Some people hate to part away from old bells, despite they are broken, etc, etc, because they achieved a "comfort zone" for them...When you get a new one it takes awhile or you might not be lucky enough to get what you want and have to wait...

My whole dollar on this!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Jimmy » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:15 pm

jcr use to make good bells back in the 70's. For the last 20 years or perhaps more, his bells haven't been good. The reason; he's been using cheap material. The result of using cheap material, is bad sound. Why go through all those changes of having to put tape on the bell or go to a traffic jam to break in a bell, that's ridiculous. I used on my recording a bell from Jorge Silva, Johnny Rodriguez also uses Jorge's bells. I rather use LP's bell than jcr's. jcr bells have an ugly sound and an ugly over tones. That's my opinion and its a matter of taste. Hope i was able to enlighten some of you. The bell i used on my recording SALSA con DULZURA is Jorge Silva's hand bell. The timbal bell was a gift from the late Louie Ramirez, "Pan Con Queso" de Venezuela.

Edited By Jimmy on 1128895240
Jimmy

Postby tamboricua » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:54 pm

Hola Jimmy,

Welcome aboard! It's an honor to have you here at the Congaplace forum. What you been up to lately?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:48 pm

guys,
is it true that the bongo bell and the mambo bell should be the same in size to sound great while performing???? my best, franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Jimmy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:48 pm

Saludos Jorge.
El site es muy chevere. Gracias por la buenvenida.
I'd like to invite you all to my website: http://www.jimmydelgado.com Lots of historical photos, and a few interesting facts. Feel free to fwd any comments or questions i'll be happy to answer your questions as best as i can.
Take care.
JD
Jimmy

Postby Raymond » Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:54 pm

First of all, welcome to Jimmy D...We are honored.

Franc, not necesarily. In my experience, the preferrable is that the pitch of both bells, bongo handheld and timbale, be close but is not mandatory.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby onile » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:14 pm

¡Vaya Jimmy!
Es un gran placer y honor a invitarte en este forum.
Yo! I visited your site, it’s great! Lot’s of great things of interest!
By the way, what type of bell is being used on the intro number?

Hope that you enjoy the forum and hang around!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby franc » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:04 am

saludo raymond,
y gracias !!my best to jimmy delgado. hope he visit us more often to give us his insites. my best to all in this forum!!! áche!!!! franc :cool:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Next

Return to Bongo