Bongo in a big band? - Any suggestions for songs to play?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Salseroberlinense » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:53 am

Hi there, I am going to play in a big band, and as I wrote to them that I like Cuban music best they asked me for songs we could play. I have no idea which Cuban songs are good for a big band, does anyone here have experience with this? Up to now I play in a smaller band, and we play two sons and a cha cha. What do I have to do when playing jazz? Does martillo still fit? And when to switch to the cowbell?
Salseroberlinense

Postby otto » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:46 pm

Hello Salsero

You should check out Machito's Music. His band could be considered big band depending on you defination of big band.
His music was big band arrangements you will find any of his music good for your needs.

Good luck
Otto
otto

Postby Charangaman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:34 pm

I don't think a straight up Martillo will really "swing".. I think in that kind of situation improvisation is the way forward.. IMHO

Armando Peraza and Jack Costanzo were pretty fierce in those type of scenarios..
Charangaman

Postby Salseroberlinense » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:10 pm

Looked it up in Trevor Salloum's bongo book. He has some examples of a "jazz martillo" played with the triplet feel in 4/4 and also something for bossa nova. I love the 5/4 variations of "Beyond the basics" played with Brubeck's "Take Five". My bongo teacher suggested we could play Manteca or Night in Tunisia or anything of Machito to make it Latin big band Jazz. Don't like those songs too much though. And we already play "Oye como va" with a smaller group, so hope for new inspiration, maybe something more Brazilian. Of Machito I only have the "fireworks" CD, "Despierta Boricua" and "Soy Salsero" are quite nice. I doubt we have Spanish speaking singers but maybe that can be replaced by melody instruments.

Edited By Salseroberlinense on 1145326910
Salseroberlinense

Postby pcastag » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:55 am

Check out some chico o farrell, hip cuban arrangements, also afro-cuban sweet , some of those old puente albums have hip tunes as well.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Salseroberlinense » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:50 pm

Did you mean the afro-cuban jazz suite?
Salseroberlinense

Return to Bongo