Moperc on the way

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Moperc on the way

Postby pcastag » Mon May 27, 2013 1:32 pm

Scored these yesterday, nice looking set and from the gain I suspect they're maple. Hard to find these used, shipping from Canada is so high even though his prices are reasonable you have to add another 50-100 bucks, Looking foward to banging oin these puppies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121114747059?ss ... 1439.l2649
PC
pcastag

Re: Moperc on the way

Postby caballoballo » Mon May 27, 2013 7:39 pm

Pcastag, I saw that one yesterday and indeed it is a great buy and most important a great sounding Bongo.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby pcastag » Mon May 27, 2013 8:41 pm

Yeah I got dude down to 375' so with shipping 405' not cheap but I think these are one of the most solid bongos ever made. Dudes stuff is built like a tank and he manages to get that volume out of the drum without losing the old school sound. Can't wait to get em! :D
PC
pcastag

Postby salcero1 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Pcastag, If you never had a chance to play a set from Michel Ouelett you will be very happy with your purchase from ebay. The construction, look, weight, feel and sound will impress you indeed! I had purchased a custom painted Tropical series set in April of '11 and I believe you saw them and replied with a comment to some former member's take about my posting. That dude who no longer sheds his moronic critiques here, made a dumb remark about me not reviewing them in a live gig setting and just taking pictures of them as if they were just models to photograph in a catalog or sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Speaking strictly to the former member is he reads this, RED FLAG dude, furthest thing from the truth! I'm no pro and never laid claim to that title so I wouldn't be able to accommodate your "so called" request. I'm just someone who loves to jam with friends as well as amatuer musicians and practice at home to some very good 60's, 70's and 80's classic SALSA. Here's a photo of that set posted in the attachment below. The bongocero plate was adhered with 4 small flanking screws by myself that was sent later to me by Michel. The man is a true gentleman and great craftsman. I got the color scheme idea from one of his dejembes in his catalog and he came through with flying colors. They are sounding better today, after being broken in, than ever when I first opened the box and tuned them up. Give us your review of your new equipment when you get a chance. Paz y Sigues Tranquilo siempre...

PS- The damage for my shipping from Canada was $50-$475 total with the cost of the bongo itself. Could have topped $500 but I caught a break though because he usually charges an additional $50 for any custom paint job. He gave me this additional service as a gift.

Jorge
Attachments
P5090020.JPG
My one and only Mopercs from Canada.
salcero1

Postby caballoballo » Mon May 27, 2013 11:09 pm

Yes indeed, Mitchel makes a great Bongo. I have my as a bargain in 2005,lucky of me. Also I can assure that Bongo outstanding sound. The yellow jacket as I call mine have been to many gigs. If have never own one you will be surprised when you open that box & see how well made it is. Built to last an eternity.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby pcastag » Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 am

Beautiful. Those look like ash no? I do have a couple of his congas, discontinued sets, a maple conguero and an ash groove series super tumba. Had a tropical series as well but I sold that to Michael. hoping he's diggin it although I should've kept it and put a new skin on it. But yeah one of these days I'm actually going to get a set of three made, maybe when both my kids finish college and my house is paid off! :D You see one of our members actually got Michel to make him a set of african mahogany drums. OUCH! I know a lot of the traditionalists on this board aren't big fans of his stuff, but having played all of the big three they are my favorites. The perfect balance of modern with the traditional.
PC
pcastag

Postby salcero1 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:50 am

Yes they are made of Ash and you deserve to treat yourself to something that you will enjoy. You've provided well for your family and the purchase of Mopercs will be a little self given reward for your contributions in keeping the family name strong, healthy and well provided. Enjoy the set.

Jorge
salcero1

Postby pcastag » Wed May 29, 2013 1:35 am

LOL, thanks bro, if only my wife saw it that way! :lol:
PC
pcastag

Postby caballoballo » Wed May 29, 2013 2:25 am

Like you said many on this forum are not fans of Moperc. I said they may not seen or have play Moperc because there have been many post about quality, sound etc, etc, to me Moperc is top stuff .
Josean
caballoballo

Postby ABAKUA » Wed May 29, 2013 2:43 am

Having played Moperc Congas in Cuba owned by Muñequitos de Matanzas, Yoruba Andabo and Rolando El Niño Mentira, I can vouch they are top quality and sound amazing. Also played Moperc bongo owned by Adalberto Alvarez bongocero & also Afro Cuban All Stars bongo, same excellent quality and sound.
Very well put together and sound is fantastic.
Perfect balance of traditional and modern. Myself, as a 'modern traditionalist' :lol: feel that with an alma, their congas would be perfection in every sense of the word.

back to original topic, congrats, fantastic find. You will be extremely happy with them. 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Thu May 30, 2013 1:06 am

Yeah, I'm not so overly sold on Almas but I hear ya! I've seen drums with almas go out of round, and plenty of drums without them retain their shape very nicely. Good crafstsmanship and care takes cae of most problems with warpage. I had jay put an alma in an egg shaped gon bops, didn't go out of round near as bad as it was, but it did end up with some separation. My sonocs were perfectly in round when I got them with no alma either.
PC
pcastag

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 pm

pcastag wrote:Yeah, I'm not so overly sold on Almas but I hear ya! I've seen drums with almas go out of round, and plenty of drums without them retain their shape very nicely. Good crafstsmanship and care takes cae of most problems with warpage. I had jay put an alma in an egg shaped gon bops, didn't go out of round near as bad as it was, but it did end up with some separation. My sonocs were perfectly in round when I got them with no alma either.

A buddy of mine has a set of Maple Mopers, conga/tumba, and I REALLY like them! The projection is unreal. The maple had some serious overtones with the thinner heads they came with and they were almost too loud (if that's possible) so I put some thicker mule on them. Killed of most of the overtones and man - do they slap! Tones are still very ample and pure.

I'm wondering, has ANYONE every reported a moperc splitting on this board? or going out of round? I've never seen one. They are built like tanks. The staves are perfectly cut and line up beautifully straight through the joint to the inside of the drum, and they're quite thick. It was my impression that they're built in such a manner that an alma may not be needed. When the prefab is done this accurately the assembly must be a breeze, they would lock together like puzzle pieces.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby ABAKUA » Fri May 31, 2013 1:41 am

Hmm I tend to agree, guess it comes down as well to the climate where you live.
Where Im at we dont get freezing snow winters, or humidity. Its a fairly dry climate. Sure we get winter, in fact we are just entering winter now, 15' cel. days, around 5 or 7' cel nights. Still get warm days around 18' cel in winter. Summer can get up to 40 - 45' cel. at hottest point. So Id say Moperc in my climate wouldnt suffer too much. Im actually trying to decide between 2 designs for a set of Mopercs currently which Im looking to order.

Mopercs are very well built, the drums that the Cubans owned were several years old and taken a hell of a beating in travelling and daily playing, and were in perfect round, no splits etc.
So perhaps with his modern approach and craftsmanship an Alma is not needed due to his design... :?:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pcastag » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Got em today. Score!!!!!
PC
pcastag

Postby caballoballo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:21 am

Vaya, now that you got it, what are your first opinions of that Bongo?
Josean
caballoballo

Next

Return to Bongo