7 Bongos Tested And Played Back to Back

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

7 Bongos Tested And Played Back to Back

Postby Mr.Rumba » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Here is a new video I made with 7 of my bongos being played back to back. They all have new skins I mounted, ( mule macho/ steer hembre) I got from Ryan 'Manito' Wendel except for the Spirit In The Wood and Crazy El bongos.http://youtu.be/IG02Ue1aF-U
In no particular order:
JCR solid shell
Manito Percussion
Spirit In The Wood
Crazy El (mini bongos)
Moperc
LP Giovanni Galaxy
Sonoc
Attachments
1044837_10200782764506328_1615051159_n.jpg
Mr.Rumba

Re: 7 Bongos Tested And Played Back to Back

Postby caballoballo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Vaya Mr Rumba, great collection,great technique,great Bongos. I like the way you can get that dry slap with both hands. I have a friend timbalero named Rigoberto who can do the same.
Last edited by caballoballo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 am

I like the sound of the Crazy EL.
That little bongo pack a punch.
Great technique.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Psych1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:24 am

I agree, nice playing.
Also like that Crazy El!
What are the dimensions of that little bongo?
Psych1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:31 am

caballoballo wrote:Vaya Mr Rumba, great collection,great techique,great Bongos. I like the way you can get that dry slap with both hands. I have a friend timbalero named Rigoberto who can do the same.

Thanks Caballoballo! Glad you enjoyed the video and thanks for the props, much appreciated :)
Mr.Rumba

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:32 am

RitmoBoricua wrote:I like the sound of the Crazy EL.
That little bongo pack a punch.
Great technique.

Thanks RitmoBoricua! I love those little mini Crazy El's. At first I did not know what to make of them, now I am bringing them every where I go!
Mr.Rumba

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:36 am

Psych1 wrote:I agree, nice playing.
Also like that Crazy El!
What are the dimensions of that little bongo?

Thanks Psych1. The macho is about 6 1/4", the hembre is 7 1/4. And they are heavier then they look. My friend recently got a full size set of Ash bongos from Crazy El and when we compared the two the full sized bongos seemed to be lighter then these mini bongos.
Mr.Rumba

Postby caballoballo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:15 pm

("MR Rumba Wrote ,The macho is about 6 1/4", the hembre is 7 1/4. And they are heavier then they look. My friend recently got a full ks Psych1.size set of Ash bongos from Crazy El and when we compared the two the full sized bongos seemed to be lighter then these mini bongos.[/quote]

Sometimes a slightly small size does not affect the sound too much, specially Bongos that are cylindrical shape. That is the case as on my last addition made by Charlie Vega which is 7 1/4 X 8 1/4. The Charlie Vega is only 1/16" smaller inside diameter than the Moperc 8 1/2" Hembra. On them even though they are made of different wood (ash Vs red cedar) sound is very similar.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Mr.Rumba » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:19 pm

caballoballo wrote:("MR Rumba Wrote ,The macho is about 6 1/4", the hembre is 7 1/4. And they are heavier then they look. My friend recently got a full ks Psych1.size set of Ash bongos from Crazy El and when we compared the two the full sized bongos seemed to be lighter then these mini bongos.

Sometimes a slightly small size does not affect the sound too much, specially Bongos that are cylindrical shape. That is the case as on my last addition made by Charlie Vega which is 7 1/4 X 8 1/4. The Charlie Vega is only 1/16" smaller inside diameter than the Moperc 8 1/2" Hembra. On them even though they are made of different wood (ash Vs red cedar) sound is very similar.[/quote]

> I'd love to hear those!! I am very curious about his work! Are those drums staves or solid shell? Are you a with the build quality and sound? Any problems or do you simply love them 100%?
Mr.Rumba

Postby caballoballo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Saludos, Charlie is an excellent artisan, trust him he will make a superior sounding instrument . It is the first Bongo I have from him although there are pictures on Facebook I ordered without first seen his work. To my surprise the Bongo is beautifully made. My only inputs while under construction was to match the center block to the shell design and a thick skin on the Hembra. Yes they are made of staves, no problem thus far and sound is like I said, pure old school.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:50 pm

caballoballo wrote:Saludos, Charlie is an excellent artisan, trust him he will make a superior sounding instrument . It is the first Bongo I have from him although there are pictures on Facebook I ordered without first seen his work. To my surprise the Bongo is beautifully made. My only inputs while under construction was to match the center block to the shell design and a thick skin on the Hembra. Yes they are made of staves, no problem thus far and sound is like I said, pure old school.

Thanks so much! I just talked to Becky his wife in Puerto Rico. She was very nice! They have Oak wood and Coaba (my spelling might be wrong on that).
Mr.Rumba

Postby caballoballo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 pm

You right Caoba is mahogany, oak is roble.
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo