Bongo heads choice - for that old '70 salsa sound

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby dannydrumperc » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:14 pm

What kind of hide should I use for that old '70s salsa bongo sound (both macho & hembra)? That sound was quite dry and punchy. Also, is there any synthetic drumheads that resemblance that sound?
dannydrumperc

Postby caballoballo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:55 am

Danny, that old sound is what I always look for on my Bongos. Lately I have been using a very thick Mule or Steer hide on the Hembra with very good results and Fyberskin on the Macho,so I have a very deep sound of the Hembra and a crispy high tone of the Macho. I have that combination on 2 of my Bongos,the other one has Fyberskin on both shells,I use that one for rehearsal so I do not have to be tunning too much.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby dannydrumperc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:24 pm

caballoballo wrote:Danny, that old sound is what I always look for on my Bongos. Lately I have been using a very thick Mule or Steer hide on the Hembra with very good results and Fyberskin on the Macho,so I have a very deep sound of the Hembra and a crispy high tone of the Macho. I have that combination on 2 of my Bongos,the other one has Fyberskin on both shells,I use that one for rehearsal so I do not have to be tunning too much.

Thanks Caballoballo! That makes a lot of sense.
dannydrumperc

Postby caballoballo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:17 pm

Hey Danny,

Where are you located here in the Island ? I am from Rio Grande, Play with an 11 musician band,2 trompets,2 trombones ,rythm section and 2 singers.
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo