How Much is a bongo worth?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

How Much is a bongo worth?

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Hey guys,

I recently had for sale a vintage Valje "concert" model bongo. It really was in excellent condition and all original. Anyways, I posted it here and got a few nibbles, I was willing to sell it to forum members for $500. I would have wheeled and dealed a bit for sure. I had gotten the bongo in a trade from a forum member and $500 would have given me a good profit.

I know that is the price of a new bongo, but unlike other claims this bongo really is rare and very collectable, also it was in almost new condition.

I put it up for sale on my blog and Ebay. I got an offer for $400 which I declined.

So it was a no reserve, no "buy it now" auction, just a straight up bidding auction with an opening bid of .99 cents. The first day the price went to $280.

I had done my research and these kinds of auctions statistically get the best action and highest prices.

The bongo eventually sold for $675! A pretty good price.

Now I'm quite thrifty and have owned some nice drums. I'm a player not a collector and I'm always looking for deals. I knew the drum had value, but I was willing to let the market tell me how much the drum was worth. I personally would not pay that much for a bongo, but I don't collect, some people do and I'm happy for them. They preserve drum history. I do think the bongo was actually worth the price.

I'm writing this as a kind of reaction to some of those auctions where people start a price for a pair of Gon Bops at $3,000 and such, ridiculous! Inflated prices hurt everybody, buyers and sellers.
Attachments
vinatage valje.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Re: How Much is a bongo worth?

Postby Psych1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:16 am

"Worth" is a fuzzy concept. There are some out there that would have paid 3 times what you sold it for.

I have an old 60's Slingerland bongo. How much is it "worth"? $200? It once belonged to Ringo. Does that change the value?

If you want something bad enough ------. "A horse! My kingdom for a horse!"

Still a good trade - love that SOS!!
Psych1

Postby burke » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:35 pm

I recall someone who had some drums that most of us thought were overvalued and kept showing up. Much debate ensued with said person. One of my comments was basically - "well if you are so sure they are worth what you think ... put em on ebay and see what happens".

Your story is a case in point.

Or just watch a couple of episodes of Pawn Stars [I know its 90% BS - but still fun] and see loads of people with unrealistic expectations of value.
Burke
burke

Postby caballoballo » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Saludos, everything has his price. May be for someone an instrument in this case the Valje Bongó is priceless because it holds a sentimental value, history, ect,ect. For other they may think is too much in money because for them is a working object.

In my case I have a limit on how much I may spend because all my bongos are intended for giging, they will take abuse, pounding & beating. I use to think that old bongos were better but they may come apart while playing because of age so they may be good for a collector who will brag about in terms of age, history, previous owner, maker & will keep it inside a glass display , those will pay a considerable amount. Also I use to think that old bongos were better in sound but not really IMHO, the player hands & technic are the ones who produce the right sound. Thus some people may think that buying an old Bongó will make them sound better, they are off to a wrong start.
I bought a CVS Bongó 2 months ago & from start has a beautiful old school sound. So old is not necessarily better IMHO,IMHO.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby buckoh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 pm

What is a CVS and where can I get one?
buckoh

Postby caballoballo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:42 am

Buckoh Cvs = Charlie Vega Santiago 787-329-7614, 787-830-3669. Check my post about Cvs.
Attachments
CAM00108[1].jpg
CVS Red Cedar
CAM00108[1].jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 5213 times
Last edited by caballoballo on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby pcastag » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:09 am

Moperc have a nice old school sound, as do SOS and Ritmo and some of the colombian bongos. I think the new school sound is Buffalo and plastic. Of course real old school is goat. So there you have it. Those vegas look nice bro. I think the good woods give a nice old school sound too, fat and warm with crack. Fat crack. :D
PC
pcastag

Postby caballoballo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Oh! Yes Pcastag Moperc has the sound. I still have the one bought on 2005. From Colombia 3A is the boss, I mean they all sound good because I have own El Piernas & a CP but 3A puts more emphasis on the Hembra sound IMHO.
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo