bongo breaking

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby TreviBONGO » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:22 am

Hola, I'm new in this forum and let me tell you this forum is great, lot of good information!.My question is how you do the breakin to a bongo?, I just got a new one.Thanks TreviBONGO.......

Edited By TreviBONGO on 1169609841
TreviBONGO

Postby Raymond » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:41 pm

You mean break in the heads.....Well is easy....tune them and play them, tune them and play them....

In other words you have to use them.... What I do sometimes at the beginning when I put new heads is to leave them tuned for awhile, perhaps a whole day, so the heads will stretch, play them a little bit, etc., etc. . (Of course, be careful in not overdoing it so the heads will not break). In summary, the break in in the heads to achieve the peak sound is only obtained after wear...so start "wearing" those heads....

In most of the factory heads and/or "treated"/ clear heads from manufacturers you will see that the heads is going to start turning white. (In heads that are not treated or already are white there is no way to tell but the sound will tell you).

Eventually, after all the playing, streching, tuning, detuning, etc, the heads will break-in.

Is just a matter of time.

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1169646194
Raymond

Postby TreviBONGO » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:03 am

Thanks for the info......... and once again great forum
TreviBONGO

Return to Bongo