Plastic Heads: do you un-tune it when finish?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Plastic Heads: do you un-tune it when finish?

Postby El Magnifico » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:24 pm

Guys, I have started using plastic heads from Remo and Evans. I'm from the old real skyn school that youhave to tune it down after finishing the jig. Is this is neccesary with the plastics'? Some people leave it tuned, but I have seen some bongos, including my Timba believe it or not, that loose the roundness on the drums when leave it tuned. What are your thoughts, please?

Thanks! :roll:
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
"Playing one bongó at a time"
El Magnifico

Re: Plastic Heads: do you un-tune it when finish?

Postby caballoballo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 am

Saludos Magnífico, I am old school also and yes all my bongos get detuned after giging even with synthetics. Keeping unnecessary tension on the shells is going to ruin them later.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby El Magnifico » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:46 am

caballoballo wrote:Saludos Magnífico, I am old school also and yes all my bongos get detuned after giging even with synthetics. Keeping unnecessary tension on the shells is going to ruin them later.

Gracias!
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
El Magnifico

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:02 pm

El Magnifico wrote:Some people leave it tuned, but I have seen some bongos, including my Timba believe it or not, that loose the roundness on the drums when leave it tuned. What are your thoughts, please?

Detune, detune, detune specially them older bongos.
RitmoBoricua

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:00 pm

IMHO
I have had and currently have synthetic heads, on bongos and congas, I also know people that currently have synthetic skins, NEVER have to detune them, never have had nor do I know anyone who has had problems, either with hardware or with the synthetic head.
I would most definitely agree with natural heads but never with synthetic.
What's nice about synthetic is that they stay tuned forever, well almost :P .
One question I would ask is; "Has anybody here had any problems with a synthetic head or hardware as a result of not detuning".

My 2 cents.
Cheers.
K.C
KING CONGA

Postby El Magnifico » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:40 pm

KING CONGA wrote:IMHO
I have had and currently have synthetic heads, on bongos and congas, I also know people that currently have synthetic skins, NEVER have to detune them, never have had nor do I know anyone who has had problems, either with hardware or with the synthetic head.
I would most definitely agree with natural heads but never with synthetic.
What's nice about synthetic is that they stay tuned forever, well almost :P .
One question I would ask is; "Has anybody here had any problems with a synthetic head or hardware as a result of not detuning".

My 2 cents.
Cheers.
K.C

Well, what I have noticed with some drums is that the problem is not the head, but the drum itself. I have seen some drums becomes oblongue due to constant tension from the heads. My Timba, and we are talking about a $600.00 set here, tends to deform when leave it tune. It happened to mine.

Rumba! 8)
El Magnifico
Puerto Rico
El Magnifico

Return to Bongo