Remo Nuskyns - to de-tune or not to de-tune

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby twinsbongo » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 pm

i always say nu skin for nu generation of want to be rumberos.i will keep or preferred the old school way. the sound is real.with old school heads.
good luck with china stuff
julio tx
twinsbongo

Postby caballoballo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Yes,the old school sound is the one I prefer,yesterday I was listening to a Cheo Feliciano song named si por mi llueve,it has the old school sound Julio is talking about. I have the three flavors,1 Bongó with fyberskin on both shells (the macho one has to be replace,can be streched any furthere) 1 Bongó with combination natural steer on the hembra fyberskin on macho,1 Bongó with mule on both. 5 or 6 different Campanas with the steel skin,very hard to break.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Diceman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:57 pm

Caballo,

I am just about to get mules for my HR bongos, how does the sound compare between different skins?

Diceman
Diceman

Postby caballoballo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:45 pm

Dice,Saludos

Well,over the years I have use Cow & Mule for the Macho and Steer & Mule on the Hembras. The Mule have a drier sound than the Cow on the Macho,on the Hembra is about the same in comparison with steer (depends also on the type of Bongó for example the type of wood) but for me it stays more tune than the Cow skin for a longer period of time (macho). Mule is kind of hard on the hand until you get use but the sound IMHO is best overall. Brother Isaac will get to you the best one depending on you type of Bongo.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby twinsbongo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:53 am

caballo. i have one set of el piernas with the puerto rico flag. it was the one that ivan caceres used promoting some of this bongo s in puerto rico. people talk about this bongolike it is not al that good, but i will never let my go and i still have the same heads (hr percusion 5 star) i will stick with those for ever. ijust talk to AB PERCUSION in colombia and i will be getting another el piernas but this time with the original guayacan wood color on it with two chromw rings on each drum. i only paid $103.00. if you want i can get you some of those heads on the same shipment. they are only like 13.00 or 15.00 each . let me know. you should put those skins on the vintage piernas you have.
saludos
julio ft worth
twinsbongo

Postby caballoballo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:29 pm

Julio,do not let go of the Piernas you have. They are like Wine,the older the Better. Don't worry about what people said, some will swear the Tailland junk is better but the Bongos made the old way in Colombia,Canada P.R, U.S are far superior in every aspect than the mass produce ones. About skins,I have some nuskin (worse among ),some Fyberskin,some mule,Cow ect ect laying around. Like I said don't let go of El Piernas.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Roka » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:51 am

Hi,

LP Bongo drums are 7-1/4 and 8-5/8" as it's said on their page and
Remo Bongo Fiberskyn M6 Type measures are 7.15" or 8.50".
That's all I found. Do they match ?
Roka

Postby Raymond » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:14 pm

Roka,

Yes, those are the models and it "should" fit.

Be aware that Remo makes only three sizes of bongo heads, 7 1/4, 8 1/2 and 9. (I think it makes a smaller macho but that is not a professional size).

Not all Remo heads fit perfectly with every brand regardeless if Remo or the company in question recommend or say it does. Yes, there is no 7 head like some companies make, nevertheless, the 7 1/4 could be used in machos that are 7.

Remo is going away from the 'crimlock" or original Fyberskins because with the modern comfort rims in the bongos there is a problem fitting those heads. There is a posiblity that with the tucked or heads with rings like natural heads, regardless if it is a tight fit or a big fit, the head will last longer and/or fit better.

IRemember these heads are made by Remo and not by the companies so they will not fit perfectly. If Remo or the company says that is what fits, then that's it. However, be aware of what I mentioned above that it might not fit perfectly. (By the way, Evans has an arrangment with LP and there heads are more tailored made than the Remos).

I hope this helps. Saludos!
Raymond

Previous

Return to Bongo