LP Johnny Rodriguez Jr. Legend Bongos Regular

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

LP Johnny Rodriguez Jr. Legend Bongos Regular

Postby biketony » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:53 am

Hi all,
BikeTony here.

New to the forum. I recently bought a set of Latin Percussion original fiberglass conga's (Quinto, Conga, and Tumbra). Paid 420.00 for all three drums. All three drums are from the 80's. I replaced the heads with Remo skyndeep heads. I'm taking lessons, using a metronome and enjoying myself.

Today I ordered the Latin Percussion Johnny Rodriguez Jr. Legend Bongos. Guitar Center was out of stock, Got me to thinking. Does anyone have suggestions on what would be a good starter bongo setup ? Have I made a good choice ? With the set I ordered out of stock, I have some time to reconsider my choice. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
biketony

Re: LP Johnny Rodriguez Jr. Legend Bongos Regular

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:19 am

Welcome to this forum, BikeTony!

Well, you paid a very good price for the conga set, congratulations!
About the LP Dandy bongos: I am not so sure if that is the deal of your life.
Basically any decent bongo set like a (used) Matador or LP with good skins does the trick perfectly
in my opinion.
Bear in mind that it has a a 9" hembra and:
caballoballo wrote:The Dandy is a an excellent bongó by Lp, however it' has a very uncomfortable terrible bearing edge that really does nothing but hurt the hands. And thinking about it, that was the reason I got rid of it the first time I owned

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9355&p=84919&hilit=lp+dandy+bongo#p84919
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby caballoballo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:04 am

Saludos biketony, Mike is correct on his suggestion about Matador bongó . I prefer the custom model which have Cuban style bottom steel hoops and believe me with the correct combination of skins {remo skindeep on macho and thick natural skin 1/8"on Hembra} will sound as good as many expensive ones. Manito percussion have ready mounted skins for Matadors ask him for a thick one about 20-24 sheets of paper thick for the Hembra . For the macho drum stuff online have the Remo skindeep.
Attachments
IMAG0187.jpg
Matador Custom
Josean
caballoballo

Postby burke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:35 pm

Hey Biketony,

Looks like from your OP that you've already purchased the Dandy's. I have never played them, but in recalling [and looking through] older posts they got pretty high marks from a lot of folks, so I don't think you've made a bad choice. I remember thinking when reading the post about the sharp bearing edge problem that if you didn't have the resources to have a custom pair built then sanding the bearing edge would be a possible solution. But the edge may not end up even bother you ... who knows?

Thanks

D
Burke
burke

Postby biketony » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Thank You all for your information.

I did cancel the order for the Johnny Rodriguez Bongos. (The item was out of stock and they were unsure as to when they would be in).

I then ordered a Latin Percussion Custom Matadors from Guitaraudio. I should have them by the 10th

Thanks again.

Biketony
biketony

Postby caballoballo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:08 am

Saludos biketony, make sure to replace the factory skins. Tucked Skindeep on the Macho and you can get the thick Hembra natural skin at Manito percussion ask for18- 20 sheets of paper thick.
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo