Bongo Bell Buzz

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Bongo Bell Buzz

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:09 am

Bongoceros,
I have just bought a timbal, cha cha, and signature bongo cowbell from Matthew Smith (Ritmo Drums) and the bongo bell has a buzz to it every time it is hit. Is this normal? Does the bell just need to be broken in or is it defective and should I contact Matt?

Thanks,
AndyG
RetroVintageDrummer

Re: Bongo Bell Buzz

Postby caballoballo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:30 am

Bell buzz? That's why you don't buy bells online regardless of who makes them . It is always better to take your beater to the store and play them until you find the preferred tone. What I do is to apply a thick piece like duct tape or gorilla glue type tape on the inside to get rid of the overtones, also try vinyl bumpers which you can buy at home Depot . Try different places until you find the right spot. It's take more than 1 piece. Hope that helps.
Josean
caballoballo

Re: Bongo Bell Buzz

Postby RetroVintageDrummer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:11 am

Ideally it would be great to hear the bells before purchase, but sometimes it cannot be done with some manufactures. I don't think Matt sells his bells anywhere besides his website, so I had to take this shot in the dark. I absolutely love the medium pitch timbal bell, so I still think it was worth it. The bell sounds great compared to my old LP bongo bell, but the buzz is just there. I think it must be because of the way it was welded. If the bell isn't mic'ed up at a gig, I should be fine since I'll probably be the only one that would be able to hear it. I'll experiment with muting. Typically I don't like having to use tape, but I may have to on this one. I find that "Moon Gels" work just as well and they don't leave all that sticky residue. Thank you for your advice.
RetroVintageDrummer

Return to Bongo