SONOC TO BE, OR NOT TO BE

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

SONOC TO BE, OR NOT TO BE

Postby MACHO123 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:51 pm

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

ARE THESE TRUE SONOCS?
I'M ASKING BECAUSE OF THE CENTER BLOCK. IS IT ORIGINAL OR WAS IT CHANGED?
NO OTHER ID TAGS OR MARKS ON THE BONGO.
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.
MACHO123

Re: SONOC TO BE, OR NOT TO BE

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri May 01, 2015 3:52 pm

MACHO123 wrote:ARE THESE TRUE SONOCS?
I'M ASKING BECAUSE OF THE CENTER BLOCK. IS IT ORIGINAL OR WAS IT CHANGED?
NO OTHER ID TAGS OR MARKS ON THE BONGO.
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS.

That's a very good question there? Personally I have no idea,
perhaps other forum members can identify this bongo for
you. The hardware at least is consistent with other bongos
I have seen advertised as Sonoc. That's looks like an undersized
bongo by today standards, which is a good thing if you ask me.
I have never been too impressed with Sonoc bongos hardware
and craftsmanship. The center block needs help way too big
for the bongo, it may be one of those stock replacement LP
center blocks you can order. Very basic and crude bongo set
unless it has some verifiable historical value I would not pay
more than $25.00 but that just me.
RitmoBoricua

Postby MACHO123 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:00 pm

MACHO123 wrote:Very basic and crude bongo setunless it has some verifiable historical value I would not paymore than $25.00 but that just me.

LMAO! That's funny Ritmo. I don't think I paid too much for it. I think it was $275 last year on Ebay. It's funny because a bought from a well respected forum member and I wonder what he'd think of your comment. I wasn't familiar with Sonoc when I purchased it. But after I saw a few pics of them, I wondered why I had a different center block. Hopefully that member sees this post and responds to it. I'm very curious to find out. As usual, thnx Ritmo, you're always a great help.
MACHO123

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri May 01, 2015 7:58 pm

I have never been attracted to sonocs, vergaras, requenas, or even timbal Ismael.
What float my boat is the vintage LP from the 60's and 70's. Like they say
beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
RitmoBoricua

Postby caballoballo » Fri May 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Saludos, I am with you ritmoboricua. I have never been looking for those mentioned bongos and those timbas Ismael were available when I started playing around 1973 but t didn't like them. Also right now I am neither atracted ln buying old bongos, I see no fun on that because been an active player I need a reliable instrument to play but that is just me others may have a different need or passion. On Lp bongos I regret selling the set I had from the late 70s it was made of mahogany.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Psych1 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 am

I've never had, or even played, a Sonac or Vergara bongo - so, can't comment. But, I have 3 by Requena and 3 by Ismael.

The Ismaels have the biggest, deepest, loudest sound of any of my bongos. Louder than fiberglass LPs and much deeper and richer sounding. The only bongos that come close are the old, palo santo, El Piernas.

The Requenas are just amazing. They are small, light, and have a super-sharp sound that cuts through everything. The only thing that comes close may be a machinegun!

Of course, my favorite is still my 1971 LP. But, that is because she was my first, has been around the world with me many times, and has shared some of the best times of my life.
Psych1

Postby goldy » Wed May 06, 2015 6:58 pm

'To Be'. It is a Sonoc. I did have same one with original center block. Great sounding bongos.
goldy

Postby MACHO123 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:00 pm

GOLDY;

Thanks for the response. The one thing that I didn't mention is that they DO sound great. A friend of mine picked them up one day and started playing them. He remarked that they sounded awesome, better than his LP Aspires :lol: I told him they should, "they're Sonocs from Cuba made of Cedar".
Until then he didn't know about Sonoc Congas or Bongos. Well, he borrowed them and I haven't gotten them back yet :lol: Guess he really likes the sound.
Goldy, do you know about what year they were made and why the center block is different.
MACHO123

Postby goldy » Fri May 08, 2015 7:48 pm

Hi MACHO123,
Here is a short history of the Sonoc percussion.
Sonoc was the mark of the manufacturer of instruments of Havana, the only manufacture of the state in Cuba at the past time. All percussions that come out were of weary good quality. It is made of the extinct and famed Cuban drum wood, Caoba, that is still prized today for its legendary sound.
Usually, the top heads a made from calf skin and the barrels done by quoter sown Caoba.
Hardware is typically over-sized.
Center block is been changed due to strap-on bongo stand. It is hard to secure rounded center block with strap-on.
Year of manufacture......? Sonoc hew head many different bongos but it could be early 80s.
Here are two of my Sonoc bongos.
Attachments
Sonoc.jpg
Sonoc early 80s
20141007_121303.jpg
Sonoc late 60s?
goldy

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 am

SONOC (Sonoridad Cubana) are among one of the best sounding bongos, it could be due to the shells being a combination of Cedro and Caoba. Macho those bongos I bought from a bongocero that brought them from Havana with a cencerro (campana). I kept the cencerro but sold the bongos because I had too many sets. SONOC made different kinds of center blocks and yours is original and came with the bongos. Those bongos sounded incredible when I had them, I thought of changing the macho skin but decided to leave it with the original, maybe you can change the macho head. Macho those SONOCS are from the late 70's (78/79).
Omelenko1

Postby MACHO123 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Dario;

Thanks for the response. It's the one I've been waiting for. I bought them from you early last year on ebay for a good price. And you're right about the sound, it's truly remarkable. I have a set of Manito skins I was gonna put on them but I'm afraid I'd change the sound. I know the replacement skin for the Hembra is a mule skin, and for the macho, I'm not sure but it's white. I was waiting for you to authenticate the set, and now that you have publicly, I'm proud to own them. When I change the skins I'll post a pic. In the meantime, I'm posting a pic of my set of Walnut Maywood NJ paper label Bongo that I, (I'll say refurbished because I didn't refinish them, they weren't sanded down to the wood) refurbished and put new skins on. I'm thinking of selling them but don't know what price to ask. I have an idea, but not sure. I know you have a set, what do you think?
Attachments
walnut bongo LP.jpg
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:40 pm

That's the wrong pic. That's Juancho's drum. This is the one;
Attachments
IMG_1058.PNG
MACHO123

Postby MACHO123 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:32 pm

This bongo is in PRISTINE condition. Fully intact and all original down to the rubber tips for the lugs. It must've sat on a self with a ripped skin for decades unused. It was in mint condition when I bought it except that the finish was dull. I still have the original Kip hides for it although the Hembra skin is ripped, but the Macho Kip hide is still good with the LP stamp still on it. The paper labels are also fully intact with all four corners on them. I haven't seen a Bongo from Maywood, NJ in this condition. This Bongo is one of the first made in Cohen's garage fifty years or so ago. If you would like to own it, a piece of LP Percussion history, now may be your chance. I'll post it on the instraments for sale section soon. This isn't the thread for it. Until then, think it over. They certainly won't be cheap.
MACHO123

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:21 am

I have to vintage 60's LPs . One if from Maywood, NJ. made in 1964 and authenticated by Martin Cohen as from the first set he made. The other one is a 1967 Palisades Park Zebra wood with authentic LP Cuban bottoms. I think my two bongos are priceless because of their uniqueness. I think yours are unique as well. You just don't find them in 2015.
securedownload (20).jpg
Omelenko1

Postby Omelenko1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:23 am

Zebra LP 1967, Cuban bottoms.
LP%20Zebra.jpg
LP%20Zebra.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 7766 times
Omelenko1

Next

Return to Bongo