MANITO'S BONGO NO HOLES....

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

MANITO'S BONGO NO HOLES....

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:19 pm

I talked to Ryan "Manito",yesterday to inquire about his bongos and to know if he could make them without holes in them (meaning no piercing center block),basically the idea that Meinl had,to just join the 2 cylinders by a thick piece of metal....He said he could do them for an extra $ 75 ,and then you would have solid shells without any holes in them...the ultimate bongo!!Thought I let you guys know,since some of you are probably salivating,like I am over his bongos....and might have the same question in mind.Saludos.J6.
JOHNNY6

Re: MANITO'S BONGO NO HOLES....

Postby Psych1 » Sat May 16, 2015 5:43 pm

There were some real problems with the Meinl hardware. You can't adjust the spacing between the shells and can't rotate the hardware for comfort.
Psych1

Postby caballoballo » Sat May 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Psych1 is correct. Trust me if you are a seated player been able to adjust the position of the crowns and bottom hoops to accommodate the lugs better is a must. Also the theory behind that meinl design really does not do anything. Buy the Manito bongo as it is and you will have a top of the line bongó, make Manito to do some grove design on the shells and you are ready to go.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:11 pm

Too me if you go "solid shells",it would make sense to go all the way and have no holes in the shells....but you guys bring up excellent points as usual....(and also they do have a better look with the traditional center block).I did not think about not being able to move the hardware,but that makes good sense... so thank you for letting me know. Do you guys know if 3A is still in business with their solid shells,and how to contact them? And does HR El Piernas make solid shells ? My El Piernas is still my favorite bongo for the money,I did not check w/them for a while,a few years ago they did not make solid shells...I wonder if that has changed....solid shells or not,mine sound great,wished they were not so heavy! Hit them hard,or hit them soft,but hit them!!Thanks.J6.
JOHNNY6

Return to Bongo