HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR MANITO BONGO ?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR MANITO BONGO ?

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sat May 16, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi guys,I am considering ordering a bongo from Manito,they look great,but I would appreciate any feedbacks from people in this forum that actually own them,about their actual sound,at around $ 600,I want to make sure they are worth the investement...I listened to Michael.P. youtube comparison,and they sound good,but I am trying to get feedbacks from others...are you happy with your purchase? Thanks and keep hitting them :lol: !!
JOHNNY6

Re: HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR MANITO BONGO ?

Postby caballoballo » Sun May 17, 2015 2:59 am

I own these 2 which are made in Ponce P.R by master artisan Georgy Miranda 939 358 1251 or Jorgemirandapercussion@gmail.com. He makes solid shells mahogany wood bongos, you only need to provide the hardware.
Attachments
IMG_20150411_175838~2.jpg
7.25" x 8 5/8"
received_971675989510098.jpeg
7.25 x 9"
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks CB,that is another option to look into,being based in Miami,I guess I would just ship him the hardware....I'll communicate with him...
JOHNNY6

Postby MACHO123 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Why don't you PM Michael P and ask him personally or even on the phone. I spoke to him when I was buying the SOS Congas from him. Great guy with a great personality. He takes him time on the phone with you and will answer all your Bongo questions. Only thing Johnny, I don't remember his Bongo going for $600. Is that a new price or are they made from some other exotic expensive hard wood? Oh btw, MIchael P goes by Mr. Rumba on this forum. good luck.

Also, if you decide to go with the guy in PR, Manito will charge you about $300 for custom hardware and skins. I sent him an old HR Bongo from 15 years ago that I recently refinished and he charged me $300 for new hardware and skins. (706) 614-4563 is his number and HE always answers the phone, no one else does. Tell him Angel gave you his #. Good luck Johnny.
MACHO123

Postby JOHNNY6 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:23 am

Thanks Macho,I appreciate the infos you provided,I did not Know about the price of Manito ' s hardware+ skins,and that is good to know.
Otherwise I had talked to Manito directly,and he quoted me that price of $600 over the phone(,I did not ask him if that included taxes and S/H),just a few weeks ago...I have already ordered a new bongo a few days ago and should receive it tomorow or saturday with synthetic skins,it is a mahogany Sol bongo,with natural skins upgrade that I should receive later on ,may be in a week.They are not customizable,but I get it right away and can return it if not happy,I would have to keep the nat.skins since they are special orders ( not refundable).
And we are talking $400 range for a hand made bongo,backed by Akbar's reputation...we'll see!! I can''t wait to try it,but I need the natural skins to really tell....which I'll have to wait a little longer for those.I'll keep you guys posted.Ciao.J6.
JOHNNY6

Postby caballoballo » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Sol bongos are excellent made. However even though they are made of different woods they are all the same shape and same size. Also they are all over ebay. It's not the same as when you ask an artisan to fabricate one for you with your specifications, wood, size, shape, hight, skins, type of hardware. Then you have a unique bongó made for you, not what everybody else could have.
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo