Cuban bongos - Sonoc, to buy or not to buy

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Cuban bongos - Sonoc, to buy or not to buy

Postby goldy » Mon May 18, 2015 3:22 pm

Just recently I have got an opportunity to buy an Sonoc bongos. It has been bought by recent owner from street player in Cuba. It is definitely Sonoc but with a lot of irregularities such as a crown ring for Macho, different kind of lugs, unusual center block...not to mention that they need new natural heads. The seller asking Euro 75.00 ($ US 85.00)
I do have 2 right hands and I'm able to do a lot by my self, but is it too mach for Sonoc in this condition. Please comment. Goldy
Attachments
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
goldy

Re: Cuban bongos - Sonoc, to buy or not to buy

Postby Psych1 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:16 pm

Buy them for the shells - and the history - and the sound. New hardware & skins & you're good to go.
Psych1

Postby JOHNNY6 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:38 am

Goldy,make sure the shells are in good shape...no cracks,separation etc....I also think like P1,that they are worth it just for the shells,invest another $100 to $120,and you probably have some serious bongo.From what I understand,it is very difficult to find that Cuban caoba wood anymore.I would still try to negotiate a little,but still would personally buy them at $85.Good luck.J6.
JOHNNY6

Postby goldy » Tue May 19, 2015 7:01 am

Thank you gentlemen, I will go ahead.
goldy

Postby caballoballo » Tue May 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Saludos, first, what size are those shells? Cylindrical or conical? What price? Those are the questions. $100-120 on hardware that depends on the metal, if its stainless steel would be around $200. Then add another $80-90 on skins and around $60 on tuning lugs . Is it worth it? Really? I am not rude, just realistic.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JOHNNY6 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:55 pm

CB,I get your points,but assuming that the shell sizes are fairly standard,he can try to find used hardware for it,or maybe just restore the existing ones(I would not invest in custom made hardware),I don't know in P.R.,but I can find good skins for $50 to $60 the pair,assuming that u do the mounting...Goldy said he has 2 right hands,that will help him with keeping cost down....This is just my opinion and the devil is always in the details.Worst case scenario,clean up the shells and sell them,many Cuban rooted bongoceros would love to have Cuban mahogany.And CB,I don't think you are rude,I just think your reality is different than mine.
JOHNNY6

Postby MACHO123 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Goldy,
Manito Percussion charged me $300 for custom made hardware including the skins. I would buy the bongo for the shells and have Manito hook them up. I sent him two HR El Pienas shells that I bought 15 years ago. Very light weight wood so I thought It would be worth it. Go to his website and check out his amazing Bongos. Go for it, you can't find Caoba anything anywhere today. Good luck.
MACHO123

Postby goldy » Tue May 26, 2015 7:04 am

Thank you to everyone for helpful information and in particular to be interested to help. They will arrive tomorrow. There are not cracks or separations on barrels and the size is 7" and 7 3/4". Du to the fact that I'm from Europe, I do have opportunity to make the new hardware in one of eastern countries with quality material (and cheap labor). I have been working in metal industry for 11 years so should be able to choose right material and tradesmen. My intention is to make new crown ring for Macho (same design as on Hembra), new skin hopes and new lugs. Personally I do not like the bottom rings, but it is typical for Sonoc and I will most likely preserve them. In addition the only new think that I will made by self is new center block which will be curved on top like the all Sonocs but will be made from different wood. Regarding barrels that will be piece of cake for my do to my occupation as painter and decorator. Once the hardware is made, it will be finished in brushed sateen chrome or brushed nickel. The skins are ordered from Manito percussion.
goldy

Postby goldy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 pm

The barrels are done long time ago. New center block made from walnut.
Attachments
20150925_105520.jpg
goldy

Postby burke » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Looking very good. Can't wait to see what kind of hardware you come up with.

Cheers

D
Burke
burke

Postby goldy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:07 am

Finally new hardware which is almost done. Nothing is welded. Material is been taken from old train bumper and all rings done on lathe machine.
Even hooks for tuning lugs are not connected with old fashioned rivets. They are connected with specially made screws. (I may say that crown and bottom rings are now vintage due to age of material). From beginning to the end of restoring this bongos and making new hardware, I wanted to preserve the Cuban traditional look. In my opinion I succeed. Waiting for chroming to take place.
Attachments
New hardware.jpg
New hardware just about done.
New MP skins.jpg
New Brown Steer skins from Manito Percussion.
goldy

Postby Chtimulato » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:38 am

Nice work, so far.
Chtimulato

Return to Bongo