WHAT WOOD IS YOUR FAVORITE BONGO MADE OF???

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

WHAT WOOD IS YOUR FAVORITE BONGO MADE OF???

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

:shock: That is the question....some say the type of wood used on bongo drums is not that important,since it is a small drum....obviously it does not have as much impact than on a conga,but personally I do hear different sound qualities from different woods,and I am sure you gentlemen do too.Please share your thoughts on the subject,based on bongo drums you actually played,not just read about,and specify which one is your favorite (sound wise only,not looks).It is obvious to anybody in this forum that skin quality/thickness has an essential impact on bongo sound,but the question only relates to woods and not skins.
JOHNNY6

Re: WHAT WOOD IS YOUR FAVORITE BONGO MADE OF???

Postby caballoballo » Sat May 30, 2015 6:40 pm

I prefer mahogany, that wood gives me a deep mellow tone out of the Hembra. Got 3 made of that.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks CB,so given a choice of 2 identical bongos and skins,1 being oak and the other one mahogany,I guess you would go for mahogany...I always hear that mahogany is one of the best woods for bongo,but I never played one,so I do not know the difference with others I did play.I do value your opinion and experience,and the fact that you own 3,does say something.I appreciate it.
JOHNNY6

Postby caballoballo » Sat May 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Johnny6, other things that affect sound is the wood thickness, hight of the shells and shape. Any bongó made to my specs has a 3/4 " wood thickness. I have others made of rose wood and ash. Both of them have their own special sound but one is kind of conical and the other is cylindrical. Very important is your technic, play your bongó the right way and no matter what wood is you will make it sound awesome.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby Psych1 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:28 pm

My favorite bongo is my old LP mahogany. It has always been my favorite, I've had it for 40 years, been everywhere I've been.

BUT, I now have bongos in almost every wood and controlling for shape, size, and skins, they all sound pretty much the same to me. If the type of wood matters I'm not sure it matters that much as long as it is a good hardwood. Shape, size, and skins do matter a lot.

Lately my main go-to bongo is an SOS in cherrywood. I think it has a special "warm" sound but maybe it is just my imagination.
Psych1

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:02 pm

I agree with you both,that there are many other factors to take into consideration,besides the wood itself.....it seems to me also unless there is a huge difference in hardness of the wood,all other factors being identical,the difference is not great....however,when you take an el piernas guayacan wood, and assuming that they had an identical one in oak for example...then the difference in sound due to the wood alone would be quite important,due to the huge difference in hardness.My dilemma is to choose between 2 identical bongos,1 made of oak (I already played and owned bongos made of oak),and 1 made of mahogany(never played one made of mahogany)...I think the oak is a harder wood,but I don't think the difference in the hardness is that great,and therefore everything else being the same,the difference of sound might be minimal....What are your thoughts?
JOHNNY6

Postby caballoballo » Sun May 31, 2015 12:28 am

I would go with the mahogany. Oak has too much of a brighter tone to my taste. So if the decision is a hard one just choose both bongos and ready.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:15 am

Meinl do sound good for the money,I have tried the ash woodcraft w/9 inch hembra,and even their skins were decent....but it was too big for me in the trad.position.CB,you are right getting both would be ideal...can I borrow $450 from you for the 2nd one?

The shape is comical....so I can laugh about it while playing it! ( I know that was corny)
I was leaning towards mahogany from the get go,and if I could try them out the decision would have been easier.But CB,you confirmed what I had heard,about mahogany being more mellow,and since that one will be used mainly at home,I think that the way I'll go,unless of course I get your wire transfer. :lol:
Thank you all.
JOHNNY6

Postby Mike » Sun May 31, 2015 8:38 am

Psych1 wrote:My favorite bongo is my old LP mahogany. It has always been my favorite

Mine too. Hard to beat 8)

Very close is the Raúl cedar wood.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby caballoballo » Sun May 31, 2015 4:23 pm

Johnny6. I tried to wire transfer the cash to your account but your bank rejected it, they said there was no more room in your :D account. Good choice on the mahogany. If it is the standard size and you need skins Manito could supply it. Make sure you get Thick one on the Hembra. Which bongó was that on $450?
Josean
caballoballo

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:12 pm

CB,I wish that was true...can you try again,please....it is a Sol,I think I remember you mentioning that it was an option you look into,but did not pursue since they could not accommodate for a thick hembra,which is also usually my preference...but in this case I need a light and confortable bongo that I can play at home,mostly to accompany my lady playing her guitar,that one would have natural skins on both sides,unlike my other bongos which have synthetic on macho,louder and more practical for gigging,or playing outside in the south Florida humidity..so I think it'll do the trick,for what I want to use it for.And my tank of El piernas,para la Musica latina.

That old mahogany LP must sound really good....I wish I'll have the opportunity to try it 1 day...

Also eventually,I do want to order one from the several PR artisans,full shell and bring your own hardware....but I am not quite ready to go trough all that yet,and I want one I can return if I am not happy with it. J6.

P.S:I do accept any donations besides CB....I accept gold ,diamonds,old masters paintings,as well as the usual C.C or D.B. :lol: :D :lol:
JOHNNY6

Postby pcastag » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:02 pm

My favorite sounding bongos I've owned were a walnut LP and a solic shell caoba JCR.
PC
pcastag

Return to Bongo