MANTECA DE COROJO

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

MANTECA DE COROJO

Postby juancho » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Put some of this stuff on and it turned out this color???
Attachments
20150911_140901.jpg
juancho

Re: MANTECA DE COROJO

Postby juancho » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Nevermind....they are starting to fade. I guess it's being absorbed.
juancho

Postby Fabibi3791 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:30 pm

Ah ah ah...what a colour...does it help to protect the skin...or is it just a fantasy !???
Fabibi3791

Postby jorge » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:04 am

Tranquilo. Let it soak in for a couple days without touching it, put it in a warm place or in the sun. Heat helps the skin absorb more of the oil. Add more in areas that the skin absorbed it all, so everywhere is covered completely. After a few days, wipe off all the manteca de corojo, don't leave any in crevices, and buff the skin dry. The color of the skin will be a little more yellow than when you started but not too much. Be extremely careful with your clothes. If you get even a little bit on your white pants, the yellow stain will be really hard to remove. I generally go light or don't treat the macho, I think it sounds better and may last longer dry. Maybe wipe it off sooner then see how it sounds. You can always add more or treat it again if it sounds better after the first day treatment. If it sounds worse you can get some of the oil out of the skin by washing the surface with rubbing alcohol.
jorge

Postby JOHNNY6 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Jorge,any other recommendations to nourish bongo skins without discoloration at all?

Thanks.J6.
JOHNNY6

Postby jorge » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:52 am

I have never used anything else besides manteca de corojo but it really doesn't cause much color change once you wipe it off thoroughly.
jorge

Postby juancho » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Since my JCR turned out with the amazing sound I wanted, I went ahead and did the same with my HR.
Attachments
20150913_095038.jpg
juancho

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:42 pm

juancho wrote:Put some of this stuff on and it turned out this color???

I'd never use it on bongo skins.
In fact, I stopped using it on tumbadora skins 35 years ago.
Additionally, if you "slather it on" to much it goes into the skin and the fibers of the skin start to separate, especially around the bearing edge eventually causing tearing / ripping.
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby juancho » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks Jorge, Markito. Points well taken.
juancho

Postby caballoballo » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:30 pm

I have been using that for decades without any unwelcome side effects. The point is not to apply an excessive amounts. I do it about once a year and always a small amount . Also I leave it on over night so it is absorbed little by little and wipe it off in the morning.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby jorge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:24 pm

Juancho, can you post a picture of the skins after you wiped off the manteca de corojo?
Markito, I agree with you if you use it too much, but I have had the same kind of cracks and tears in dry untreated skins as those I treated with manteca de corojo, I think it is a question of moderation. I do notice that the manteca de corojo can help reduce the part of the high pitched "ringing" that comes from the skin, although not that part that comes from reflections of sound waves inside the tumbadora. Also, on bongos I don't use manteca de corojo on the macho, just on the hembra. I like the sound of the macho better untreated and dry, although the skin at the bearing edge may crack or split a bit sooner if it is completely dry and untreated than with occasional manteca de corojo on it.
Do you use any treatment at all on your bongo skins?
jorge

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:38 pm

jorge wrote:Juancho, can you post a picture of the skins after you wiped off the manteca de corojo?
Markito, I agree with you if you use it too much, but I have had the same kind of cracks and tears in dry untreated skins as those I treated with manteca de corojo, I think it is a question of moderation. I do notice that the manteca de corojo can help reduce the part of the high pitched "ringing" that comes from the skin, although not that part that comes from reflections of sound waves inside the tumbadora. Also, on bongos I don't use manteca de corojo on the macho, just on the hembra. I like the sound of the macho better untreated and dry, although the skin at the bearing edge may crack or split a bit sooner if it is completely dry and untreated than with occasional manteca de corojo on it.
Do you use any treatment at all on your bongo skins?

I personally don't use anything.
The skins I buy retain their own natural oils that are in the skins and what comes off my hands.
The skins I buy have all been cut within 12 months, nothing old and dry that has been laying in storage somewhere.
No Water Buffalo, no horse skin, no deer skin, no bull skin.
I only use Kip, Calf, Mule, Cow.
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby KING CONGA » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Not sure why those skins changed color, none of the skins that Ive applied it to have ever done that, maybe it's a different type of Manteca de corojo.
My SOS sun bathing in Southern Cali. sun after an aplication of MDC.
Attachments
Juans sos.jpg
Juans SOS2.jpg
Juans SOS3.jpg
KING CONGA

Postby juancho » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:56 pm

Nice thumping hembra and crisp on macho on both
Attachments
20150915_163427.jpg
juancho

Postby caballoballo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Saludos, like Jorge I only use it on the Hembra the macho is always synthetic. I do have an Hembra skin mounted on my Timbas Del Valle that was taken from this old Hr bongó which I bought from Omelenko in 2005 so it is 10 years old and have not crack at all with the rub of a little Manteca.
Attachments
IMAG0180.jpg
2010 Timbas Del Valle
El Piernas.jpg
Old Hr
El Piernas.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 8488 times
Josean
caballoballo

Return to Bongo