Bongo buying - advice

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Bongo buying - advice

Postby tigerjack89 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi there.
I'm searching for a new set of bongos and I've decided to choose an LP set. So, my main choices are three:
  • LP Aspire A601-AW (~105€, but I've found it secondhand at a lower price)
  • LP Matador 201 (~160€)
  • LP201AX2 BONGO GENERATION II (~270€)

Because I can't find any real difference between the them looking at their specific details, I'm asking advice to you all on what to buy and why. I'm not a professional player, but I will be playing in an amatorial band the next month, so I'd like a good sound.

Thanks in advance.
tigerjack89

Re: Bongo buying - advice

Postby caballoballo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Saludos, I'll go for the Matador if it the Custom model . It is cheaper, comes with steel hardware including the bottom hoops and With the correct skins will sound as good or better than the Lp 2gen, both are made of the same wood so why to pay more The aspire you can discard it. One thing on both lps is that the only good part of the skins assembly is the flesh hoop
. So, the Matador is cheaper than the 2gen and with that saved money you can buy better skins.

The Matador on the picture hardware is powder coated.
Attachments
received_980555065288857.jpeg
Josean
caballoballo

Postby tigerjack89 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:34 pm

caballoballo wrote:Saludos, I'll go for the Matador if it the Custom model . It is cheaper, comes with steel hardware including the bottom hoops and With the correct skins will sound as good or better than the Lp 2gen, both are made of the same wood so why to pay more The aspire you can discard it. One thing on both lps is that the only good part of the skins assembly is the flesh hoop
. So, the Matador is cheaper than the 2gen and with that saved money you can buy better skins.

The Matador on the picture hardware is powder coated.

Thanks for your help.
So, the skins are not so good on the Matador? What skin do you suggest to buy?
tigerjack89

Postby caballoballo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Saludos, on any mass produce bongos except a few the skins are treated water buffalo which will not provide the desired tone. I may suggest Remo tucked skindeep for the macho (small shell) and a thick at least 1/8" cow, mule or steer skin for the Hembra (large shell) or if you prefer synthetic go with Remo on both . Manito percussion (online) have ready mounted natural skins for those size.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby tigerjack89 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:09 pm

caballoballo wrote:Saludos, on any mass produce bongos except a few the skins are treated water buffalo which will not provide the desired tone. I may suggest Remo tucked skindeep for the macho (small shell) and a thick at least 1/8" cow, mule or steer skin for the Hembra (large shell) or if you prefer synthetic go with Remo on both . Manito percussion (online) have ready mounted natural skins for those size.

Again, thanks for your useful advice.
In your opinion, what are the differences between the different kind of skins? And between the natural and syntethic ones?
tigerjack89

Postby caballoballo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:18 pm

I have use all those natural skins mentioned. The macho soon or later needs to be replaced, the Hembra as it is tuned low will last for ever,you always need to detune regardless of the type of skins been natural or synthetic . I use a combination of Remo skindeep on macho and thick natural skin on Hembra..I don't like the sound of synthetic for the hembra.
Josean
caballoballo

Postby caballoballo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:37 pm

The original Matadors
Attachments
IMAG0187.jpg
Josean
caballoballo

Postby tigerjack89 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:14 pm

caballoballo wrote:I have use all those natural skins mentioned. The macho soon or later needs to be replaced, the Hembra as it is tuned low will last for ever,you always need to detune regardless of the type of skins been natural or synthetic . I use a combination of Remo skindeep on macho and thick natural skin on Hembra..I don't like the sound of synthetic for the hembra.

Thanks just another time for the precious infos.
One last question for you: is there a good compatible stand for the Matador? I don't use it now, but in the near future I'd like to use the bongo with the congas and for this reason I think I will be forced to use a stand.
tigerjack89

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Hi.

I can recommand the Meinl bongo stand, which costs about 150 €. You can try to find a second hand one. There are two models, for seated or standing player, so you'll have to decide if you want to sit or to stand by playing...

About the skins : forum members living in the USA or in Canada will recommand you Manito skins, of course (http://www.manitopercussion.com/), but, since you certainly live in Italy, you will pay as much for the shipping costs as for the skins themselves...

For forum members living in Europe, I recommand local dealers. There are some djembe and drum makers/suppliers in France who can sell you somme good skins (calf, cow, steer) with correct shipping costs. I'm sure you can find some in Italy too (in this case, Google is your friend).

And if you want the Rolls Royce of the skins (mules from Greece), there's one address for european drummers : descargapercussion. There again, Google is your friend, and the shipping costs will not be too painful...

About the bongos, as Caballoballo said : Matador(s) are a good investment.

Happy new year to everybody.
Chtimulato

Return to Bongo