Unknown bongó

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Unknown bongó

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi everyone.

I recently bought these bongó for 30 € (about 32 $) to a guy who wanted to get rid of a lot of "old stuff". I think it is red cedar and maybe made in Cuba, but I'm not sure. The macho is about 6 5/8 '' and the hembra 7,5 ''. The lug system seems very old - and fragile - to me.
As I wanted to replace the macho head, I noticed the lugs had been sawn and were too short to tune a new skin, so I had to find someone to make some new ones for me. I'll try to find the time to change that skin soon.
Has anybody an idea of where it comes from ?

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
IMG_20150908_144643.jpg
IMG_20150908_144654.jpg
IMG_20150908_144713.jpg
Chtimulato

Re: Unknown bongó

Postby goldy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Hello Chtimulato,
I do not won to disappointment you but there is a lot of similarity to the bongos that you can find on this website: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201285013394?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Perhaps, it could be their model from early 60s.
No mater what, they are vintage and the barrels a done from one peace of wood. It is worth to experiment with new (or used) skins.
Regards, Goldy
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Bongos from Turkey.
goldy

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi and thank you for your answer.
Don't worry, I'm not disapointed at all. I knew what I bought as I bought them, because I spoke and mailed to the vendor. I just bought them because I found them funny, and they were cheap. I think they will only accept goatskins, due to the thinness of the lugs. I have got now to find the time to change at least the macho skin. Since they are old and fragile, they're going to stay at home anyway, I certainly won't take them out for a rehearsal or a gig.

I "know" the bongos you put in attachment, I saw them on Ebay too. They look nice, but I find them expensive. I'd rather pay a little more and buy some Giovannis, Dandys or craft bongos, when time comes to buy some new ones.

About my vintage bongos : a friend of mine, who is more expect than me, saw some photos of them I sent him, and ment they were made of Cuban red cedar. That's why I wanted confirmation - or invalidation -, just to know.

Regards.
Chtimulato

Postby Psych1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:03 pm

The Ebay drums usually sell in music stores in Turkey for about 100 TL, close to $50 US. I believe most are not made in Turkey but further east, like Pakistan. They are not often used in latin or western music but in eastern or indian tabla.
Psych1

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi.

Looking to the videos on the Ebay page, they sound oriental indeed.
I like them, but, as I said above, I don't want to pay so much for them. I'll just wait till I, or some folks I know, make some holidays in Turkey...
Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:50 pm

After posting a picture on the Vintage Conga Drum Facebook Page, I finally learned they were made in India, and were only tourist crap, available anywhere for 10 € (about 11,5 $)... what a friend of mine based in New Delhi just confirmed... So I won't make any expensive restauration, and shall save the money for something else...
Chtimulato

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:53 am

You are correct: "made in India / non professional crap".
Good for fun at a party when everyone is drunk.
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Return to Bongo