Tycoon bongo lug smashed

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Tycoon bongo lug smashed

Postby sil3nc3r » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Hello All,

Just about a month ago I jumped into the bongo world buying a Tycoon artis series. Long story short, I have played a couple of times, maybe a dozen.
I have read everywhere about the importance of detuning, so I was precisely following the instructions after each play. But really, about 10-12 times.

Today I had an issue that you can guess looking below picture:
The screws are scaffed, the nuts are rolling around.

I applied for refund still within the warranty period so I hope I will survive without a loss but I am just curious.
Was I so lame to "screw it up" ? That 's all to know about tycoon bongos? Or it is just my misfortune...?

I wonder if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,

sil
sil3nc3r

Re: Tycoon bongo lug smashed

Postby burke » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:03 pm

I have no experience with that particular bongo but I'm not sure how one 'screws up' turning a nut on a thread ... so my best guess is its very likelycheap soft metal and NOT you at all.

If you get your money back [I hope you do ... you definitely should] maybe consider a higher end bongo. Matadors are the #1 goto budget vs quality pick and you can get a set at very near the same price point or less on sale or used.

If you end up stuck, a machine shop should be able to re-thread those and if you go that route you might consider not detuning as much or at all. Not everyone does [especially if you get synthetic skins].

Luck

Darrell
Burke
burke

Re: Tycoon bongo lug smashed

Postby Psych1 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Agree with what Burke says. Just add my 2 cents.

First if you really want to get into playing, you really should try to play/practice almost every day. Doesn't have to be for long, 15 min a day works. Play along with some music you like.

Second, Best if you can take it back but if not - those lugs aren't too bad. Hardware stores sell things that you can use to recut the bad threads. Or, you could just add a bunch of washers. Or, new lugs aren't that expensive - check ebay.

Detuning !! I am obsessive about tuning and detuning but really, there is no need to be. Once you have a good sound out of the hembra you can just leave it alone or tweek it a bit once in a while. You do get the best sound out of the macho when you crank it up tight, but for short daily practice there is really no need to do that. No real need to detune unless you, or the weather, have put a lot of extra tension on the skins and shells.

Welcome to the board and the trip - keep us posted on your progress.
Psych1

Return to Bongo