Bongos anchoring hardware differences

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Bongos anchoring hardware differences

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:33 am

Wondering if these differences below are based on geographic, historic or aesthetic differences, or whether each of those has its own distinct set of tangible mechanical advantages or disadvantages:

g4.jpg
g4.jpg (21.38 KiB) Viewed 11413 times

d4.jpg
d4.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 11413 times
Beatnik07

Re: Bongos anchoring hardware differences

Postby Juaort » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:31 am

I’ve often wondered the same thing. I’ve seen many different approaches on different brand Bongos from vintage to New. My personal opinion is that it may have to do with personal style by the maker or brand. Not sure that it has anything to do with function. It’s an interesting question.
Juaort

Postby Chtimulato » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 pm

My 2 "centimes", from what I know : the "Vs" (the "ears") on the "Dandy" model are an 'inheritance' of the Valje design. LP bought the brand Valje after the workshop burnt down (1987 ?) and kept the design for its Valje LP line. The "Dandy" model is in fact the Valje LP bongó with a larger hembra (9" instead of 8 1/2", and later 8 5/8") and another finish.

I think aesthetics differences may have to do with the brand : maybe every brand has its own model and it's its property. That's true for the side plates at least : everybody can make the difference between LP, Gon Bops, Meinl, Pearl, Junior, etc., just looking at the side plates. This being said, all the traditional crowns may look similar if you look at them from a distance. But if you look closer, maybe connoisseurs can identify the brand by the size of the "V" (or the "U" sometimes), their form, the distance between the 2 'legs', etc.

This is for traditional crows at any case.
Comfort Curve rims are a different animal. I think they were not only designed for the comfort of the player, but also for economical reasons : since they are molded (whereas the traditional ones are formed and then welded or riveted by a worker you have to pay), I guess they are cheaper to produce.
Last edited by Chtimulato on Sat May 16, 2020 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chtimulato

Postby Jasontimbal » Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 am

I find that the V traditional rim is the best you can use not only for congas but bongos. Like one of the guys said here comfort curve was probably made for economical reasons more than anything. I think they are a terrible design, too heavy, and TO ME they just don’t tune heads as well as traditional. If you need a comfort curve rim then you may have to look at your technique.
Jasontimbal

Return to Bongo