Another COVID Bongo project!

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Another COVID Bongo project!

Postby Juaort » Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:52 pm

As horrible as this COVID pandemic With no end in sight. I have to say that I’ve had more time to work on some projects that I’ve been sitting on for a while prior to COVID. I have some LP Gen2 Shells that I wanted to work on and customize. Well here they are or at least the Hembra, I’ll be working on the Macho and center block tomorrow. I’ve been wanting to do a color shift paint job and finally got the opportunity. Let me know what you guys think. I used Testors Lacquer Spray Paint. Black Base and Purple Sunrise Color Shift Paint. Finished it with one coat of clear. The paint is available at Amazon as well as Hobby Lobby stores for those in the US.
Attachments
150D7F59-5ADB-42AB-8B69-DDEC651F3219.jpeg
94DEED49-5827-48EE-A4D5-A56BC296416B.jpeg
17CD2315-6599-47D7-BC8F-2478F86B4A41.jpeg
C22829D1-D609-4B61-8D9F-7181A83176E1.jpeg
Juaort

Re: Another COVID Bongo project!

Postby Chtimulato » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:00 pm

Nice work, Juaort.
I like that colour, it's quite original.
Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:01 pm

Do you happen to know the wood species ? I think Gen II had several ones.
Chtimulato

Postby Juaort » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:38 am

Thanks Chtimulato! I believe these are Siam Oak. LP and everyone else from TOCA, Pearl, Tycoon to Gonbops uses this wood since most are made in Taiwan. LP Gen2 Shells are not easy to stain, but good for spray painting.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:15 am

Beautiful work Juaort !

I have a question since it looks like you had to remove the two LP Generation II stickers for the paint job.
Was it difficult to remove the stickers ? Was it difficult to re-glue these stickers on the bongos ?

I am asking because on my Gen III, the stickers (looking just like yours) tend to come unglued on one side of the sticker. It's no big deal, but it is a tiny bit annoying since pressing the stickers back onto the bongos doesn't work for long: they re-separate from the drums after a while, as if the original glue wasn't strong enough.

I don't want to remove these stickers without knowing that I won't damage or rip the wood finish underneath, or that by removing the stickers they will become wrinkled and unusable. Also I wouldn't know how to safely (for the wood) re-glue them onto the bongos.

Thanks !!
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:22 pm

Thanks Beatnik07. Sure thing, I removed the LP Brand Tag with a one sided razor blade. The type you would use in a box cutter. You just go slow in. Don’t pry or lift, just push it through on both sides and it’ll pop up without any wrinkles or bends. Once I was done with Sanding the gloss finish and painting I just glued it back on.
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:30 pm

BTW how’s the Gen3 sounding? You’ve had sometime to break in the skins. I recently experimented with mine and swapped the top rims. I took the rims of my LP Dandy and put them in my Gen3 and vise versa. They look sick!! Take a look.
Attachments
62E109C8-5D43-4303-B1C2-10D5D35F9166.jpeg
LP Gen3 Bongo with LP Valje Rims!
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Juaort wrote:BTW how’s the Gen3 sounding? You’ve had sometime to break in the skins. I recently experimented with mine and swapped the top rims. I took the rims of my LP Dandy and put them in my Gen3 and vise versa. They look sick!! Take a look.

Looks good Juaort !

I followed your advice of March and after I returned my Dandy I got a pair of Gen III and I am quite pleased with them ! To my ears the Gen III sound clearly better than the Dandy. Also while the Dandy developed just after 2 months several cracks on the inner wood surface of the Macho, the Gen III has been just fine for these last 5+ months.

So it was a great suggest from you. Thanks again !

The factory heads on the Gen III are well, factory heads, but over time they seem to me to sound better and better. So there does seem to be a breaking period especially for natural skins.

About the LP Brand Tag, how did you glue it back ? I mean did you just use the existing adhesive on the tag, or did you use some other adhesive stuff ?
I was thinking that if I removed the ungluing tag, I'd reapply it with some strong thin double-sided tape, so to not damage the wood finish.
Beatnik07

Postby Juaort » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:56 pm

Awesome, good to hear that the Gen3’s are working out. I used regular cement glue. Not crazy glue. The only thing that might take a little hit when you reglue Is the clear, but that’s all. The double sided take might be a temporary fix I think. With time and room conditions it may not stay in there, but that’s my opinion. Also most double sided rapes are a little too thick. I like the Brand tag Close to the shell. That way it doesn’t get snagged on anything.
Juaort

Postby Juaort » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:10 pm

Double sided tapeS! Jeez, my bad lol.
Juaort

Postby Beatnik07 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Juaort wrote:Awesome, good to hear that the Gen3’s are working out. I used regular cement glue. Not crazy glue. The only thing that might take a little hit when you reglue Is the clear, but that’s all. The double sided take might be a temporary fix I think. With time and room conditions it may not stay in there, but that’s my opinion. Also most double sided rapes are a little too thick. I like the Brand tag Close to the shell. That way it doesn’t get snagged on anything.

Thanks Juaort !!
Beatnik07

Return to Bongo