Buenos Dias

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Re: Buenos Dias

Postby mpags » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:10 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:Hi Michael,

if you are a singer in the first place, and you don't have to learn and memorize new songs and lyrics, try to reverse the order: Do more instinctively what you do the most, although it is more complex, and focus your conscious attention on the recently learned skill. I don't know whether this works for a singer, too, but I would like to hear from you what the results are.

Thomas

I see what you are saying Thomas and intially take that approach as I am incorporating the bongó. But as I get the song closer to performance ready, I have to focus more on the vocal, even though that is the more developed and intuitive skill.

When delivering a nuanced jazz ballad or bolero vocal, there is a lot if working around the rhythm, phrasing, tonal quality and dynamics. Sometimes being a little late, sometimes a little early. Sometimes softer sometimes louder and fuller. Delivering a moving vocal is similar to being an actor, taking on the voice and emotions of the person who is the character of the song. I found through experimentation, that being able to play a pattern and some fills that fits without having to think about it too much give me the freedom and concentration to be able to deliver a better vocal.

Playing percussion while singing reminds me very much of what it is like to play bass while singing. It is somewhat counter intuitive and requires lot´s of practice. Not so much when playing guitar or piano (I play lot´s of guitar very little piano). Of course some of my former bandmates in a project where I played bass used to joke that McCartney and Sting sing and play bass just fine when I would complain how challenging it was. :P
mpags

Postby Chtimulato » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:37 pm

Richard Bona sings while playing bass too. :wink:
Chtimulato

Postby mpags » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Chtimulato wrote:Richard Bona sings while playing bass too. :wink:

:D Yes, and Geddy Lee and Philip Bailey... and more. It can be done, just like singing while playing bongó can be done. It just takes practice. It´s like trying to pat your head and rub your belly at the same time, except more complicated...
mpags

Previous

Return to Bongo