NY mozambique bell part as columbia cáscara?

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

NY mozambique bell part as columbia cáscara?

Postby davidpenalosa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 am

Hi folks,
I'm currently working on an article with Barry concerning the first recordings of folkloric rumba. At the moment I'm cataloging the various percussion arrangements used on these historical discs. While listening to "Rumba" by Carlos Vidal Bolado, listen here:

http://www.zeno-okeanos.com/rumba-1947.html

I noticed that the sticks appear to be playing what we know as the mozambique bell pattern for the cáscara part. This selection is the earliest commercial recording of a columbia song. The percussion is playing in 4/4, which is typical for Havana-style columbias recorded during this era. Does anyone out there know of any other rumbas where this particular stick pattern was used in a folkloric rumba? Thanks in advance.
-David
davidpenalosa

Re: NY mozambique bell part as columbia cáscara?

Postby jorge » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:22 am

Since that recording predates both the Cuban Mozambique of Pello el Afrokan and the later NY Mozambique, I would not relate that kata part to Mozambique at all. It is a variant of one of the many bell parts to Conga de Comparsa in La Habana, and Pello played a lot of comparsa before he started playing Mozambique. It is also reminiscent of agogo bell parts in some sambas. So I would think that part in Cuba was derived from the comparsa and then incorporated into rumbas and the Mozambique later on. Most probably all of the rumberos on the Carlos Vidal recording were comparsa drummers as well, and the mixing of parts back then was different from how we mix them up now. We play that kata part sometimes in rumbas, and I know I have heard it in recorded rumbas, but I can't name any off the top of my head. I would have to go back and do some serious reviewing and listening to find one. Definitely one of the rhythms that go way back in history, Ralph McDonald didn't invent it and neither did Pello or Manny Oquendo, but they all used it or variants of it. It will probably be difficult to trace it back in recorded music, I am sure it predates even the earliest recorded Cuban music, maybe by centuries.
jorge

Postby davidpenalosa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:43 am

Hi Jorge,
I basically agree with your hypothesis. I identified it as the NY mozambique bell pattern because that is the name by which most musicians know it.

I was asking if anyone knows of any other recorded folkloric rumbas where this particular stick pattern is used. You said "yes," but can't think of specific examples at the moment. If they happen to come to you later, I would be grateful if you would cite them for me. Thanks.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby Anonimo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:27 am

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby guarachon63 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:14 pm

I was asking if anyone knows of any other recorded folkloric rumbas where this particular stick pattern is used. You said "yes," but can't think of specific examples at the moment. If they happen to come to you later, I would be grateful if you would cite them for me. Thanks.
-David

Listen to "Inspiración a Santiago" by Los Muñequitos, could that be it?

There is a Cuban singer by the name of Vilgilo Marti he recorded back late 50's an album for the Marvela record label and he plays rumbas and guaguanco's .In that album they use a caja on there and are playing a Mozambique pattern's almost throughout the album on the caja no bell's . The title of the album is call Juan Candela y sus rumbero singing Vilgilo Marti this is album was very popular and sold quite a bit back when I was in record business .

Very interesting Leedy2, do you have a copy of this record? I can't find a reference to it anywhere, and I'd love to hear it, Virgilio Marti was great.

Thanks
Barry
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby davidpenalosa » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:21 pm

Hi Leedy,
Thank you for that reference. I'm not familiar with the Vilgilo Marti record. Barry pointed out that Los Muñequitos' "Inspiracion a Santiago" (1983) also uses that pattern. I've listened to "Inspiracion a Santiago" many times in the past. I wish that my brain retained all the details it encountered while listening to music. Some details I've got cataloged in my brain, but other, I have to re-listen and search. It's like re-inventing the wheel. I always appreciate the help.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby jorge » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 am

Hi Leedy,
That sounds like a great recording, Juan Candela y sus Rumberos with Virgilio Marti singing. I went to a rumba at Juan Candela's house in the Bronx about 12 years ago and it was incredible. He was a babalao and padrino to a lot of the Cuban rumberos from Matanzas. I can't find that recording anywhere now, it is out of print and I don't know anyone who has it.
jorge

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 am

Anonimo

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:58 am

leedy2 wrote:Vilgilo Marti became popular in 60,70,80 then he died out made quite a few recordings with rumba groups

Hi Leedy,
I have quite a few records with Virglio, including one under his own name from the 80s, but I don't have that particular one you mentioned. It sounds like quiet a collector's item.
-David
davidpenalosa

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am

I believe Mark Sanders is acquainted with Matt Dillon.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:55 am

A shy question: Isn't the so-called NY-Mozambique bell pattern a mere variation of the standard bell pattern in Ritmo Conga (Habanera)?

||: X-X-xx-X |-XX-x-x- :|| <-------> ||: X-X-xx-X |-XX-xx-X :||

To my knowledge, the Conga rhythm is at least as old as Rumba.

Also, there was a time when rhythmic patterns were not as fixed and standardized as often (mis-)understood today.

Lastly, consider that the fragment:

x | x-x- (4+ /1-2-)

is substituted by:

x | -xx- (4+ /1+ 2-)

in various cases as a floreo. It is done in batá playing, it is done with the 6/8 bembe bell, and it is also used as a variation for the standard cáscara rhythm on timbales. This is a standard, equivalent variation, típico, so to say.

The positioning of this motif occurs in accordance with the 3-part of the clave in the 2-bar structure of Rumba and Conga. In Son, Guaracha, Mambo, Salsa etc. it is often found on the opposite side (paila-cáscara and mambo bell pattern and repique of the bongocero).

Just my 2 cents,

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:30 am

Anonimo

Postby guarachon63 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Alright, looks like we have to track down that Juan Candela album somehow.

Virgilio did an all-rumba album in 1979 called "Guaguancó," more info here:

http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com/2008/10/saludando-un-rumbero-virgilio-mart.html

saludos
barry
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby Anonimo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Anonimo

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...