New Latin Percussion Conga design

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Re: New Latin Percussion Conga design

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:12 pm

I have both on some vintage salsa models, the thick fiberglass can still crack under a lot of preasure and if you live them in the car either under extreme heat or cold can make them collapse or crack, if not at the top ...around the plates. You have to take them inside and untune and do not put thick mule heads on them.
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:40 pm

I have (3) LP Patato Model drums, I am guessing they have that steel rod/bar. I think the problem is the poor economy, drum makers and for that matter most merchants are trying not to raise prices on their products so they are cutting corners so to speak every way they can. I bet it will be very cost effective for LP to do away with the steel almas on their fiberglass drums. Do you know where they make the LP fiberglass shells? Like domestically or overseas? If they make them shell overseas like in Thailand they probably import the steel for the almas from the U.S. and that can be a little expensive. Personally I like the idea of the steel alma. I have seen fiberglass congas been left in a car tuned-up and all in hot weather in Puerto Rico and the shells warped big time. This drums were not LP and did not have the steel alma.
RitmoBoricua

Postby OLSONGO » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:35 am

Could be job security, If the conga warps or cracks...time to get another one for some people.
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:12 pm

See thru congas maybe new now but I knew a guy back in the 70's who had his own set of see through 'plexiglass' congas over an inch thick and he had running colored lights inside of them as well...and they sounded very good too!.....Leedy where is the photo of those New LP's?
JohnnyConga

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...