Mountain Rhyhm Conga's

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby Sakuntu » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:42 am

I've been seeing a lot about Mountain Rhythms drums from Canada. Has anyone ever played them? I interested in learning more about them. Check them out at http://www.mountainrythym.com/home/drums/congas.a
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby caballoballo » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:39 am

How nice is to read about members on this forum looking for alternative on percussion over the other stuff. Mountain Rhytm is another hand made percussion maker from Canada. The only specification that kept me from buying a set of their San Juan Ash Bongó was that the Hembra is only 8 3/8 " in diameter,too small for my big hands,also the comfort rims which I don't like. Have you check their custom made Congas ? those ones,you have to make an order so they can make them for you and I think you can add your special specs for the Congas. Thedrumsworks.com is one of the online retailer who sells that brand.

Edited By caballoballo on 1158234025
Josean
caballoballo

Postby bongoron » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:00 pm

I have played their "aspire equivalent" at a music store. At least they were an entry level 10 and 11 inch set. They were well below the quality and sound level of my schallochs, and way,way below my sonors, which beat the schallochs in tone, but not quality. New heads would do wonders, I'm sure...still, I'd stay away from the cheaper ones, if you are on a budget. If so, schalloch is a real sleeper out there for performance/dollar. Sonor is too, but harder to find. For "full sized" drums at bargain prices, the sonors are hard to beat. I've compared them to pearl and toca full sized drums, and find them very comparable in tone. Really, the schallochs sound just fine too, although they are the reduced head sizes of the aspires and other entry level sets. The extra real estate on the sonors is nice if you can find them...champion is the model. They are intended for schools and students as a good entry level drum in standard sizes...sonor answered my email about them, and will answer any questions you have about the line. http://www.sonor.com

God bless!

-Ron
bongoron

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:03 pm

A friend of mine, local player (also drummer and intructor at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music) is endorsed by them, he uses the Santiago series.

He plays in a Mambo big band and they simply do not cut it.
While they appear solid and of good wood, they have no projection or crispyness to them.

I rate them as an entry level drum for a serious player, perhaps an intermediate level drum.

I jammed on them for a while also, they didnt impress me.

But if you play them and YOU like them, then why not! :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Derbeno » Tue May 01, 2007 2:20 pm

100% agree with Abakua's assessment.

I played with the Santiago for 18 months and I am now moving on.

It is definitely lacking in dynamic sound. No problem for a beginner to intermediate player.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Re: Mountain Rhyhm Conga's

Postby Ebongo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:11 am

For congas and bongos made Canada, the best is Moperc.
Ebongo

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...