Names for Congas

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:42 am

I would like to start a discussion on the different names we use for congas. I got a cd of Sabu Martinez yesterday and I was reading the wonderful liner note. The notes have a description of what the time signature is, who is playing which instrument, and which drum part the conguero's are playing

"Sabu on the llamador"

WTF? Which drum is the llamador? Sabu is described as an early practisioner of a 5 conga technique, so I assume its either a name for requinto or for what is sometimes calles a "super" tumba.............but I may be wrong

As I know there are several interchangeable named for congas, or tumbadora's
so far this is how I believe it breaks down.

Congas and Tumbadora are interchangeable in describing the drums in general.
I think I have also heard of Tres Golpes used in this way (Nolan Warden History of the Conga Drum pg. 2)

Also in Tomasito Cruz's excellent Conga method book on pg 48 it says:
"we use the terms quinto and tumba for the smaller and larger of the two drums. These drums are also called "macho" and "hembra".........when there is a third middle drum, we use the term "tres dos""

This seems to imply that the quinto and the tumba are the common set up??? Are these terms the proper names of the drums? or relative terms, like the littler drum is always calle quinto, in relation to the other drum regardless of the littler drums actual size?

In addition we have:
Requinto : for the smallest drum, a modern drum (Warden pg.2). When was the first requinto?

Quinto, Macho: for what is traditionally the smallest drum, does this drum have another name? Is'nt there a type of guitar called a quinto as well?

Conga, Tres Golpes, Tres Dos, Golpe, Segundo, Macho or Hembra (depending on a second drums size): names for the middle drum.

Tumba, Tumbadora, Salidor, Hembra: names for what is traditionally the largest drum.

"Super" Tumba: in modern times an extra large tumba, does this drum have any different names? I don't imagine they call it "super" tumba in, say, Cuba, do they?

Llamadora: which drum is this? I have only heard of it in the liner notes for Palo Conga by Sabu Martinez in regards to the song Asabache

I am making no claims as to being 100% correct on any of the above. I am writing this post so that other more qualified and educated historians can pick up the discussion, make any corrections to my list and add some information and history to the origins, meanings and translations to these names. I also welcome anyone to add additional terms and names they have heard or use for conga drums.

Edited By bongosnotbombs on 1188598528
bongosnotbombs

Postby blango » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:05 am

I believe a Llamador is a tumba.

Tony
blango

Postby Amber » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi,

as far as I understood a llamador is a small quinto. Just google " llamador conga" and you find a description of a book of Fernando Ortiz where this is said.

:p Amber
Amber

Postby blango » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 pm

Yea Amber,

Looks to be a quinto too.

Ill have to look into where i read it was a tumba.

Tony

Edited By blango on 1185207738
blango

Postby blango » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:21 pm

Edited By blango on 1185207805
blango

Postby blango » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Ok,

no wonder...

It seems that the llamador is the lead drum, or the one that "calls"

'The biggest drum bears the name caja, although is it also called llamador ("caller"). The mid-sized drum is called mula but also segundo and dos y dos. The smallest is called the cachimbo or sometimes quinto' - A History of the Congas, by Dr. Olavo Alén Rodriguez, 11/02

so, in Bembe it is the largest drum and Rumba it is the smallest, for example.

Thanks for making me lookinto it!

Tony
blango

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:28 am

Blango,
So your saying that llamador is a role, not a name for a drum, that makes
sense, as perhaps the llama is from the word llamar? to call.....very cool,
and thanks for referencing A History of the Congas, by Dr. Olavo Alén Rodriguez I had'nt heard of that one before...............G!
bongosnotbombs

Postby blango » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:21 pm

I've heard it used by people from Matanzas when asking for the low drum. I dont remember, off hand, if we were always playing bembe or arara, where the lead is on the low drum, at the time.

I'll ask Sandy when he gets back from the workshops.

But it makes sense that it refers to the 'calling' drum, or the one who leads the breaks ala Iya.

I wonder if the cats on the east coast have heard it on the street?

Tony
blango

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:31 pm

Does anyone know any history behind the requinto and super tumba?

Who might have made the first ones?

Who played them?

What context were they originally played in?
bongosnotbombs

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:20 pm

Blango...we heard of these terms long before they reached the west coast...."JC" Johnny Conga...

PS I think Gon Bop made their first Super Tumba back in 1971-2....14inch.....and Casa Latina congas from Puerto Rico also made Super Tumbas back in the 60's....I have a "Junior" re-quinto made back in the early 60's....but they have been used in Cuba for a long time.....for Rumba
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:28 pm

Our Teachers in New York City "in my time"(60's & 70's) were Patato Valdes, Mongo Santamaria, Frankie Malabe, Armando Peraza,(when he was touring with George Shearing in NYC, he stayed at MY teachers apartment in my projects in the Bronx) Julito Collazo , Ritchie "Pablo" Landrum(my second jimbe teacher) Willie Bobo(who I played with and was a personal friend of mine) and others....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:10 pm

I just learned from a flamenco site the term "GOLPE" is used tdescribe the finger tapping these musicians do on the body of the guitar..

the word comes from spanish "to strike'

thus tres golpes as refers to congas, the 3 things you strike, obviously refering to the (traditional) number of drums and how they are played.
bongosnotbombs

Postby blango » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:58 am

cool one bombs!
blango

Postby zaragenca » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:49 pm

To all the brothers in this topic there is also the need to understand that the terms were used in relation of the articulation which each percussionist was playing,(without the instruments itself),but of wooden boxes,ferniture shelves,pieces of wooden containers ,etc...the 'Die Hard Rumberos' were not playing with Tumbadoras,...that was needed for recording and doing shows and presentations to give better look to the ensemble.(since it would have been back for selling this type of music to present them with wood/boxes and containers.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby blango » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:56 pm

not sure i get your point Doc. Is it:

The names refer to the size of the instrument in relation to the others played in the specific tradition. they can be logs, boxs, drums, chekeres, etc.

Tony
blango

Next

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...