SONOC MAYAGUA CONGA

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

SONOC MAYAGUA CONGA

Postby MACHO123 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:09 pm

HELLO Forum brothers;

Once again I'm turning to you guys for advice/suggestions. I'm about to purchase this Sonoc Conga on CL doe $650. is it worth it? I'm familiar with Sonoc, but I never heard of them being made of Mayagua. A native tree to Cuba and Africa I believe. It's a 12" Tumba with eight tuning lugs. Aside from being heavy as an anvil, does anyone know anything else about them as far as sound quality and wood temperament. Here's a pic of it. Thnx guys.

sonoc.jpg
MACHO123

Re: SONOC MAYAGUA CONGA

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 11, 2015 11:50 am

Machito,

The name of the wood should be "majagua", you can find majagua trees
all over the Caribbean, Central and South America. "Guanex" are rare in
the U.S. and in my opinion in today's market $650.00 seems to be a good/
fair price if everything with the drum is in working order and functional.
Nice looking drum made out of an exotic hardwood rare in the U.S.
I hope this helps.
RitmoBoricua

Postby MACHO123 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Ritmo;
Yeah I had the wrong spelling, anyhow, I didn't get the Conga. I got something better. Turns out Mr. Rumba wanted the Sonoc so we worked out a deal where I let him buy the Sonoc and he sold me his set of 1976 SOS Congas he was looking to trade. I didn't even have to think twice about it. Actually they will ship from his home today and hopefully they'll get to me in NY by Friday. Thnx for the reply Ritmo.

BTW, where do you live? NY?
MACHO123

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon May 11, 2015 6:09 pm

I saw a video he made of those and they sound pretty good to me.
Didn't he changed the heads on those recently? Congratulations! :mrgreen:
RitmoBoricua

Postby MACHO123 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:46 pm

What's up Ritmo;
Thanks for the congrats. He did tell me that he recently changed the skins to Manito skins. I saw the video also, its a beautiful set and I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to have them for now. This is one of those sets that I will donate to a musical institution when I'm done living on this earth.
They truly needs to be appreciated by more than one person. I should have them by this Thursday. It's like I'm ten again and Christmas is two days away :lol:
MACHO123

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I actually went to see them SOS as the guy that was selling them lived in Ft. Lauderdale. They are very early Jay's, I played guaguanco on them and they sounded awesome. What turned me off is that he had these huge refrigerator handles on both of them, SOS don't have handles. Michael bought them and took off the handles and fixed the holes with wood dowels, doing a great job. I should have jumped on them and done the same. Quality set!!!!!
Omelenko1

Return to Congas or Tumbadoras or...