Beginning on Bata - options

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby Charangaman » Tue May 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Greetings all,

I am very curious about the Bata and would love to begin to learn the basics. I have made enquiries here in London with a few people..

The London Oriental & African music collage is running a one week course which is a bit expensive plus what can you learn in a week?

The teacher is Crispin Robinson, an omo aña.. Anyone heard of him? I'm really looking for a more intense one to one situation..

Also there is the fact that I'm not quite sure about the religious aspects and would hate to disrespect anyone or commit anykind of affront..

Eternally grateful for any guidance..
Charangaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue May 30, 2006 4:09 pm

Well it's been my experience that in order to really play the Bata is to also understand the "language" of the drum, which is also the tonal language of the Yoruba. (Which takes YEARS to learn). The religious aspect comes into play, and most Omo An~a will not teach those NOT in the religion....I have also known some Bataleros to totally take advantage of the person wanting to learn, by not really showing or teaching them the "correct" approach and ideology of playing Bata drums, for the sake of taking your money...BUT you can play "unconsecrated" drums.....so it is a "touch and go" type thing.....Good luck....."JC" Johnny Conga...ps ...Im sure there will be others here with different opinions.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Tue May 30, 2006 4:25 pm

JC you are correct in what you said,(even when there have been some diviation of the guidelines).Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby pcastag » Tue May 30, 2006 5:24 pm

Today more and more legit bataleros are willing to teach. i think the old schol rules are slowly dying out, and more and more people are willing to share the beautiful rythms of the bata. Having said that, it really takes a lifetime to learn, and you won't pick up a whole lot in a week due to the complexities and sheer number of rhythms.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue May 30, 2006 5:41 pm

Not just the patterns but the "llames"(calls) between the Iya and Itotele, are many ...and u start on the okonkolo FIRST...then the itotele......then MAYBE.....MAYBE....the Iya......Also try and understand the relationship between the 3 drummers, is very "crucial" in playing "Orisha" music. More times than not ...3 Bataleros have spent years together, for the purpose of playing for the "Saints' and have "grown up" in the Religion...this has been my personal experience with Bataleros....and Omo An~a's....I can play bata, but i would never call myself a "Batalero"....Soy Rumbero del "Bronx" ..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Charangaman » Tue May 30, 2006 6:54 pm

Thanks for so much input fella's. I think what I really want to do is go back to Cuba and spend some time finding a good teacher. I don't think a week's workshop in London is gonna be much use...

I don't know a huge amount about the Orishas/Ifa etc.. I like what I do know, I would like to know more. My family is from Jamaica so I am descendant of Africa if it has any relavence...
Charangaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue May 30, 2006 9:01 pm

Well if you can go to Cuba and stay for like 6 months you will learn a lot and see a lot...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Tue May 30, 2006 11:31 pm

if you are really into learning the bata you should go along to the workshops with crispin anyway.He is held in high regard as a bata drummer and percussionist in general.He will ppoint you in the right direction .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby pcastag » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:41 am

No doubt, you'll probably also meet some other cats to jam and learn with. It's very difficult learning bata by yourself.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby Ivan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:49 pm

Charanga man, I couldn't imagine someone learning the whole oru in one week... Not to mention the different roads you would potentially play...
JC's right... there are folks out there that take advantage of people that want to learn the bata; or any drum for that matter... So be cautious in who you select to learn from...

There are more and more people learning bata for non-fundamental reasons. For those folks you might run it to teachers that will simply want to clean your pockets... :;):

Good Luck with finding a teacher. You should pick up some CDs of bata druming - see if you can hear the different parts. David Penalosa has a production company called Bembe Productions. A CD release on that label is called "Ilu Ana" this is a great CD to listen to and learn from.

Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:15 am

Ivan wrote:You should pick up some CDs of bata druming - see if you can hear the different parts. David Penalosa has a production company called Bembe Productions. A CD release on that label is called "Ilu Ana" this is a great CD to listen to and learn from.

Hi Ivan,
Thanks for the plug, I appreciate it very much. I actually have a record company Bembe Records, not a production company. Although, there are aspects of producing involved. Very small point, no biggie.

Mike Spiro produced "Sacred Rhythms" (Ilu Aña) with bata students in mind. There's no better source for hearing the oru so clearly.

Here's another plug:
www/bembe.com

-David :)
davidpenalosa

Postby mjw » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:18 am

Going back to the original question - Crispin is a great player - I've seen him play bata a number of times with visiting cuban bataleros. He knows his stuff and reiterating Niall's comment, is held in high regard.

My wife use to be secretary of the music department at SOAS (about 8 years ago). Sadly there were no organised bata classes there at time, but she did put me in contact with Hamish Orr - another great conga/bata teacher based in London. He is well worth looking up for one-to-one lessons, as is the astounding Dave Pattman (you may be extremely lucky and find that these guys drop in on Crispin's classes just to help out)

Good luck with it - let us know how you get on :)
mjw

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:47 pm

Dave Pattman used to be in my folklore group in Miami back in the 90's, he is an incredible player, instructor and all round nice chap....."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
Johnny Conga

Return to Bata Drums