Giraldo Rodriguez-Afro Tambores Bata - by Tomas Altmann

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby davidpenalosa » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:47 am

"State of Denial" hits bookstores Monday.
davidpenalosa

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:14 am

:D :laugh:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby zaragenca » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:17 pm

What is the whole hopla about it,she was the one which dinied it in one of her articles in first place and I'm not going to put money in my pocket anyway with it.....in reference of dancing I would like to ask a question, anybody have seen the girls of Cubanan,and la E.N.A. dancing those orichas steps?,( you don't have to be in any religion but that is something wich is not difficult to learn),...,Mercedita Valdez was doing recording in relation to Orichas,(before being initiated in it).....Ok JC, tell me about Candita Batista what you know about her....And still I'm the one saying that if she have Ocha it would be dificult to keep in secret.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09 pm

To be honest Zara I don't know a thing about Candita Batista , but you seem to know every artist that ever lived or came out of Cuba so I was curious as to what YOU know about her?....I have one CD with her and her group de Tambores Bata...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:28 pm

Zara I am awaiting your answer on Candita Batista..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragenca » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:29 pm

Candita Batista inicia su carrera en 1936, siendo la primera mujer que canto acompanada de orquesta en Camaguey, Cuba. Desde entonces ha paseado su arte por todos los escenarios nacionales y por paises como México, Colombia, Espana, Portugal, Francia, Italia, Bélgica, Holanda, Suiza, Alemania y Estados Unidos.

Considerada como la Vedette Negra de Cuba, segun opiniones especializadas, elevo el pregon popular cubano a acontecimiento internacional en el plano musical. Ha alternado con figuras de la talla de Lola Flores, Estrellita Castro, Charles Aznavour, Michel Legrand, Maurice Chevalier, Nat King Cole y Josephine Baker ; y nacionales como Rita Montaner, Rosita Fornés, Ernesto Lecuona, Esther Borja, Bola de Nieve y Barbarito Diez entre otros.

Posee, entre otros reconocimientos, la Distincion por la Cultura Cubana, la medalla Raul Gomez Garcia y ha sido nombrada Hija Distinguida de Camaguey, su ciudad natal.

Alli, su casa es centro obligado del arte. En las Penas que organiza semanalmente, muestra la vitalidad y grand dominio de la voz que mantiene, para continuar siendo la gran vedette de todos los tiempos.

Este proyecto de documental trata de rescatar la figura de alguien que, a pesar del tiempo, se mantiene como un de la luminarias de la cultural nacional cubana.

El proyecto propone, en un guion de aproximadamente catorce minutos, la presentacion del mundo actual de Candita : sus actividades, proyectos y suenos, resaltando su vitalidad y lucidez. Mediante entrevistas conoceremos su recuerdos sobre distintas figuras y escenarios por ella conocidos. Por ejemplo, es muy simpatica la anécdota sobre su presentacion ante el Rey Farouk de Egipto.

Las entrevistas tambien incluyen a personalidades de la musica que conocen de su etapa de esplendor. Pueden ser nombrados, Rosita Fornés, Esther Borja, Nelson Camacho y Eduardo Rosillo.

Otra fuente de recursos visuales, que aporta una gran riqueza testimonial, la brinda un archivo de fotografias, recortes de prensa, distinciones y otros documentos atesorados por la propria artista.
Paralelamente, pretendemos hacer una breve reconstruccion de un fragmento de su vida, evocador de la incomprensiones que ha tenido que enfrentar. Acompanamos estas imagenes con alguna de sus canciones".

Dr. Zaragemca
zaragenca

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:39 pm

Nice copy and paste.

Can we have the original source/author please, without it, its a breach of copyright.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1159915192
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Berimbau » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:25 am

Copy and paste? Do you mean like his doctorate?

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby guarachon63 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:20 pm

Dr. Z's source: CANDITA, Historia sin Tiempo

Looks like an interesting documentary, I hope we get to see it someday.

saludos,
Guarachón
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby zaragenca » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:09 pm

Now instead focusing of the subject Abakua, you are critiziting how people get the information, you personality trail is going from bad to worst...whatever the source, I did provide the information for JC,which notbody provided for him before.Dr. Zaragemca
zaragenca

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 am

zaragenca wrote:Now instead focusing of the subject Abakua, you are critiziting how people get the information, you personality trail is going from bad to worst...whatever the source, I did provide the information for JC,which notbody provided for him before.Dr. Zaragemca

No.
What you done was illegal.

You reproduced material, posting it here without giving credit to the author, in what would seem as an attempt to pass it off as your own, even if you did not claim it to be your own.

Congaplace will not be held liable because of your actions.

As posted in the thread concerning Carlos Aldama, you have been banned for a period of 1 month.
Hopefully you will take the time to adjust your attitude and consider whether you wish to be a contributing member of this forum rather than a general nuisance who fails to recognise any other opinion other than your own.
Please see that thread for further details.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby maelopr » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:15 pm

At least Doc Z's lucky you didn't "thrust" him....
¡ ECUA JEY !
maelopr

Postby Facundo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:52 pm

This is just a test of the edit /
Edit function tested ok
Delete function not available

Edited By Facundo on 1160067704
Facundo
Facundo

Postby Thomas Altmann » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:28 pm

Guys,

I just got in contact with Tomás Jimeno Díaz, who is living in Finland now. He produced the CD "Rituales Afrocubanos" by the "Grupo Afrocuba de Matanzas". And he has some amazing stories to tell, as his parents worked in the household of Lydia Cabrera's villa, and he (born 1944) used to accompany Lydia and J. Tarafa on their field trips. Just for an example.

This is the same man who gave CIDMUC the information that the Giraldo Rodriguez record was made in 1954. So I asked him, from where he got this information, and he said he got it from Adriano Rodriguez. So when I closed my article with the sentence that one had to ask Adriano Rodriguez to really know the truth about this recording, Tomás Jimeno did just that. In other words, I take his word for true.
Jimeno adds that Giraldo's wife Angelita was also singing on the record.

Also, I saw in the booklet of the newly released Andrés Chacón triple CD a photo which shows Andrés, Francisco Sáez Batista, and a Gabino Fellobe, taken in 1959. I don't know how many batá players with the name Gabino were active during that period in Havana, but it is at least highly probable that it's the same Gabino who plays on the Giraldo record.

Thomas

Edited By Thomas Altmann on 1176827620
Thomas Altmann

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:49 am

Thomas,
Congratulations on your successful research! 1954!
-David
davidpenalosa

PreviousNext

Return to Bata Drums