Carlos Aldama - Conjunto Folklorico Nacional De Cuba

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Re: Carlos Aldama - Conjunto Folklorico Nacional De Cuba

Postby ABAKUA » Tue May 13, 2008 3:48 am

Thankyou for that, I had not seen this clip before.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue May 13, 2008 4:29 pm

Of course Abakua, for a second I thought you were going to chew me out for posting a video not in
the video thread :D

anyways, too bad Dr.Z isn't around anymore, I have a feeling the video would make him eat his words.
It would be appreciated if a Spanish speaking indiviual could give a synopsis of Carlos's words.....G!
Last edited by bongosnotbombs on Wed May 14, 2008 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Tue May 13, 2008 11:15 pm

hahaha! :lol:

I am about to step out for a little while, I will post a brief translation of what he spoke about as soon as I get back.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Wed May 14, 2008 1:05 pm

OK just to clarify for those who do not speak or understand Spanish, in the clip posted by bongosnotbombs, Carlos Aldama does not speak of Julito Collazo, (who studied with Pablo Roche and Jesus Perez) The VHS video I discussed earlier in the thread is the one which contains that info... Now that I think of it, I may even record some of it with my digital camera and upload onto youtube for all to see...

Now, back to a quick translation/synopsis of what Carlos Aldama spoke of in the interview clip posted by bongosnotbombs,

Pablo Roche (Akilakua) being the fundamental father of all those who studied, became followers or apprentices of the Bata Drums (Tambores Bata)

He (Carlos Aldama) learnt through Jesus Perez (Oba Ilu) who was student to Pablo Roche
goes on to speak briefly Pablo Roche's 'ranking' within Lucumi

Speaks of him (Carlos) first meeting Jesus in 1955 and how he remained his student for more than 30 years, beside him at all times, how Jesus became his Padrino de Santo (Godfather of his head saint/orisha)

How Carlos baptized a daughter of Jesus'. And how Jesus passed away at Carlos side on 5 April 1985, during 30/35 years he was by his side.
States that what he knows on bata, he owes to Jesus Perez, who was his teacher, is his teacher and will continue to be his teacher for generations to come.

Its at this point they begin to play Oro Seco, starting with Elegua (who must always be greeted first)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bongosnotbombs » Wed May 14, 2008 5:55 pm

Thanks Abakua.
I have the pleasure of studying with Carlos every week on congas. I regret my Spanish is not better
because I am certain that Carlos is far more knowledgable and eloquent than his broken English
implies.
In actuality it is my ignorance of his language which prevents me from understanding a lot that he
has to offer.
bongosnotbombs

Postby ABAKUA » Thu May 15, 2008 1:30 am

A fountain of knowledge he is. A true honour to have him share his knowledge with you.
Please tell him there are rumberos in Australia who have followed his lifes work and know him well! 8)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:41 pm

One of my fellow students posted a new website devoted to Carlos Aldama.
Lots of new and interesting information.

http://web.mac.com/edbanker/Carlos_Aldama/home.html
bongosnotbombs

Postby OBAKOSODIDE » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:52 pm

Carlos Lazaro Aldama Perez
http://www.carlosaldama.com

Carlos’s life has been dedicated to the teaching and the performance of Afro-Cuban music. This passion and commitment to the rich culture of Cuban people, has afforded him to teach and perform music throughout Europe, the Americas and Africa. Carlos Aldama now lives in San Leandro, CA and is available for lectures, consultations, private & group classes, performances and workshops.

YOU CAN ALSO FIND HIM ON FACEBOOK>>>>> CARLOS LAZARO ALDAMA PEREZ
From the drum to Olofi's ears...gracias para aña
OBAKOSODIDE

Previous

Return to Bata Drums