Carlos Aldama - Conjunto Folklorico Nacional De Cuba

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:31 pm

Didnt know whether to post in the Giraldo topic or start a new thread.. So many different discussions going on in that thread...
I was recently sent several historical dvd's (old video footage transfered to DVD) thanks to a member on here who I wont mention unless he wants to be named, amongst those dvd's/video footage is one on Carlos Aldama.
I just finished watching the 2 hour DVD (transfered from video) step by step, one by one demonstration and interview with Carlos Aldama showing all parts on Iya, Itotele and Okonkolo, then all parts through Palo Iyesa, Abakua, etc etc etc etc..
Home video style footage, filmed in Cuba around 1987.

After so many years of studying his recordings and reading his works, I finally get to see the man play. The setting is a living room within his house, 3 tambores Bata, 3 congas, palitos, and a saucepan used as cencerro/bell. Kids running around, the dog barking and sitting in around the drums. Beautiful. Here I sit, watching a 20 year old home video of a legend and true master, this footage really touched me.
Endless thanks to the member who sent me this, I will treasure this footage till my last days.

Interesting in the interview section where he speaks of his approx 30 or more year study, and brotherhood relationship with Jesus Perez, also interesting is his mentioning of Pablo Roche and the time they spent together, also Aldama clearly stating Julito Collazo who studied with Roche and Perez, Aldama also mentioning Collazo as being the father of 'it' all in NY and his subsequent Chango in NY then his return to Cuba etc etc.

Im sorry but I will believe the word of Carlos Aldama anyday over the word of a self proclaimed unacredited 'Dr' Z.
From the Giraldo thread, as posted by Zara:
Pablo Roche never have Julio Collazo as 'disipulo'

Carlos Aldama, as is a huge community of respected elders and percussionists disagree with you and this footage proves you wrong yet again.

For those members not familiar on who Carlos Aldama is, you can read some information on him here: http://www.afrocubaweb.com/carlosaldama.htm

Makes me wonder, how many more copies of this footage are floating around out there? Is this footage a commonly known one or is it classified amongst the rare ones?

Anyway, enough of this, Im off to watch it again! :)

Edited By ABAKUA on 1159975956
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby zaragenca » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:53 pm

One more time you are using the wrong approach to debate a subjetc Abakua,(anybody in this forum is going to be or to have the knowledge they could have regardless who is eating his heart in relation to it),...anyway I don't see in the article anywhere wher he is confirmating what you said,if you have it post it in here.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby Facundo » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:40 pm

zaragenca wrote:One more time you are using the wrong approach to debate a subjetc Abakua,(anybody in this forum is going to be or to have the knowledge they could have regardless who is eating his heart in relation to it),...anyway I don't see in the article anywhere wher he is confirmating what you said,if you have it post it in here.Dr. Zaragemca

Hey Doc,

I was the first one to state, well before the Giraldo thread, that Julito had studied with Pablo based on conversations I had with him personally. Evidence has since surfaced from other sources that verifies that he did. I happen to have a copy of the video Abakua is talking about. It has been a long time since I have looked at it but I do remember Carlos talking about Julito. Now, you are implying that Abakua is not being truthful or that Carlos Aldama is not telling the truth! It is interesting that you make an incorrect statement about someone you did not know but also offer nothing to support your saying Julito did not study with Pablo. You ignore proof offered by others while not supplying anything credible on your end.

You need to know that I, and I am sure others, have begun to question the validity of everything you post based on the nonsense you post in response to someone who disagrees with you. Obviously, you have no idea of how much of a spectacle you making of yourself in some of your post.

Let me explain it in drummers terms. You are out playing your congas maybe in the park jamming with the guys or maybe even at a gig. A guy comes running up all excited and claims to be a congero too and wants to play so you pass him a drum. He takes one whack shooting for an open tone but it sounds like he just hit your drum with 16 ounce boxing gloves on his hands. Then comes the second whack shooting for a slap but it sounds like one of your grandfathers accidental farts! You know instantly that the guy doesn't know a thing about congas.

Hope this helps,
Facundo
Facundo
Facundo

Postby zaragenca » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:36 pm

Which one are the sources?.(the article of Carlos Aldama didn't said anything about it), I have been trying to find out any Batalero,(from Cuba which could have been alive at that time, to read anything about him playing with Pablo Roche...I'm the one getting the information straight and a lot of mis information in the right place...The only one using the right appoach was Tamboricua, with the picture of Pablo Roche asking who they were,(and find all the right information about.it .do you remember that?,...in the other pictures it is always somebody wrong, the same that in this picture of Roche behind Raul 'Nasaco' Diaz, with is wrong also....and we are talking about evidences and they are wrong...please give me a break.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:46 pm

So because YOU dont know of it or havent seen the footage it automatically cant be true?
It is YOU who needs to give US a break.

In fact, due to your persistance in ridiculing yourself even after you have been proven wrong, your failure to acknowledge you have been corrected and not even reading members posts correctly and you persisting to be the only person with knowledge and continual talking down to members on here, I am happy to give you a break.
A break from this forum. Effective as of today, you will be banned for a period of 1 month.
Please take the time to think about whether you wish to be a 'contributing' member of the forum. After 1 month you will be allowed to log on again. Should you continue with your arrogance and 'holier than thou' style attitude, you will be permanantly removed.
Should you join up with another account, your IP will be permanantly blocked.
Your lack of respect for members on here, continual down talking and failure to recognise any other opinion other than your own is not welcome here, as already discussed with head of Administration for Congaplace.
Your previous account was banned after repeated offences, it is by good grace we allowed you to rejoin under this new account of yours. It wont happen again.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby jorge » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:58 am

Abakua,
That dvd sounds like a real treasure for serious students of bata and Afrocuban drums. Is the video you have one of those that is mentioned on the Afrocubaweb website address you gave? If so, is it Video I or Video II?
If it's not, and if it is not copyrighted, if I reimburse you for your time and materials, any chance you could burn me a copy of the dvd?
Saludos,
Jorge
jorge

Postby SkinDeep » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:28 pm

ALL RESPECT TO YOU MY BROTHER! THERE WAS NO PROBLEM IN PASSING IT ONTO YOU SAME WAY IT WAS PASSED ONTO ME WITH GOOD INTENTIONS. YOU HAVE A LOVE AND A PASSION FOR WHAT YOU DO AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.

PA'LANTE Y PA'LANTE COMO EL ELEFANTE Y NO DEJES MARCELO QUE TE TUMBEN TU PLANTE!!!

SUAVE.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:59 pm

I strongly believe that any piece of information in reference to what an idividual said or did, that is not backed up by the person in reference; can only be considered as an assumtion or some far fetched info.
In most cases bad info gives itself out in time.
So if you say something, make it concrete with strong facts otherwise it becomes mere BS.

Paz OLSONGO
OLSONGO

Postby OBAKOSODIDE » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:29 pm

Alafia,

That is definitley Pablo Roche.

signed, the wife of a drummer. LMAO!
From the drum to Olofi's ears...gracias para aña
OBAKOSODIDE

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:02 am

I was doing a search for Carlos Aldama as I am taking his conga class, and stumbled on this old thread..(I hope I don't revive the old arguments here, if so I'll just post in a new thread)

anyways, in regards to the DVD of Carlos playing bata, I have access to these as he has several copies of them which he sells.

I purchased one as a gift for my other conga teacher, who is also a bata student of Micheal Spiro.

I would like to clarify that he has 2 DVD's of him playing bata, on one he plays each part separately, this is the one I purchased and watched, there is another where all the parts are being played together, did you guys know of this dvd as well?

If anybody here is serious about getting copies of these I would be glad to help.
bongosnotbombs

Postby shq » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in obtaining these DVD. Will pay postage to Russia. Thank you for help!

Kirill Shirokov,
From cold and snowy St. Petersburg, Russia
shq

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 am

I have a more recent dvd of Carlos Aldama playing Bata with "Flaco" and another cat from the Bay area it is also 2 hours long .....I have also seen him and met him here in Seattle at a Ocha party as he played 'pa los santos'. a very nice man...but very 'ol skool' too....Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:02 pm

Carlos is now charging $75 for these dvd's, I was able to get one for another congaplace member at $50 because I'm a regular student of his.

He also distributes it through Afrocuba web for $75

http://www.afrocubaweb.com/carlosaldama.htm

Carlos retains his rights in regards to copyrights on these dvd's. Also Carlos is a modest man and deserves the money.

He has 2 dvd's available, I am happy to obtain a copy for any member here at no extra cost, but I am not interested in burning copies of my copy and distributing it.

What other guys do with their copies is no business of mine.
bongosnotbombs

Re: Carlos Aldama - Conjunto Folklorico Nacional De Cuba

Postby tamboricua » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:18 pm

Maestro Carlos Aldama on the web...

http://www.carlosaldama.com

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Re: Carlos Aldama - Conjunto Folklorico Nacional De Cuba

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue May 13, 2008 3:39 am

Some very cool individual posted this clip of Carlos Aldama talking about himself in Spanish,
unfortunately I can't understand it, but he seems to be talking about Jesus Perez.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y5ITsj719Tc
bongosnotbombs

Next

Return to Bata Drums