Girardo Rodrigues y Sus Tambores Batá - 1960

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Girardo Rodrigues y Sus Tambores Batá - 1960

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Girardo Rodrigues y Sus Tambores Batá on two songs with Chico O'Farrill, from Chicos hard to find LP: "Brisas Del Caribe" 1960.

3. "Sun Sun Babae" and on 11. "Babalú", with short interesting batá "solos" near the end of the song.
(the Iyá takes a short solo, the Itótele takes a short solo and the Okónkolo takes a short solo)

http://fidelseyeglasses.blogspot.com/2011/04/chico-ofarrill-brisas-del-caribe-con.html

Markito
Attachments
Girardo.jpg
Last edited by FidelsEyeglasses on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage, classic and contemporary Cuban tumbadoras a.k.a. congas and bongoes made in Cuba:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1418352131820747/
FidelsEyeglasses

Re: Girardo Rodrigues y Sus Tambores Batá - 1960

Postby tamboricua » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 pm

Markito,

That's Gold, very nice arrangements!!!

Thanks for sharing it.

Saludos,

JG
tamboricua

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 pm

That's fantastic, Mark!

Until now, I knew the title "Sun Sun Babae" only from the "Havana Jam" Live Sampler (1979).

The Chachálokpafún on this one is pretty much on the 6/8 side for a Havana style ensemble.

The guys are improvising on the batá in "Babalú"! Also, this is the second example which shows that for Giraldo and his men, Rumba Obatala is the appropriate batá rhythm to replace Afro, more than any other batá rhythm - the other example being "Drume Negrita" on the "Afro Tambores Bata" record.

Thank you very much!

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby FidelsEyeglasses » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Thomas Altmann wrote:That's fantastic, Mark!

Until now, I knew the title "Sun Sun Babae" only from the "Havana Jam" Live Sampler (1979).

The Chachálokpafún on this one is pretty much on the 6/8 side for a Havana style ensemble.

The guys are improvising on the batá in "Babalú"! Also, this is the second example which shows that for Giraldo and his men, Rumba Obatala is the appropriate batá rhythm to replace Afro, more than any other batá rhythm - the other example being "Drume Negrita" on the "Afro Tambores Bata" record.

Thank you very much!

Thomas

That second track: "Babalú".. the short "solo's" towards the end are great.
(the Iyá takes a short solo, the Itótele takes a short solo and the Okónkolo takes a short solo)
John Amira told me about this LP years ago, I had never seen or heard of it.
I've kept an eye out for it for like the last three years, saw a copy on Ebay sold by a seller in Argentina which is where I bought it from.
The original pressing in on Orfeon, but the pressing I bought is on DIMSA which was a subsidiary of Orfeon.
The "sound" of the Bata's are really nice.
Attachments
Orfeon-LP.jpg
DMSA-LP.jpg
FidelsEyeglasses

Postby davidpenalosa » Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 am

Great to hear this. Thanks for sharing.
-David
davidpenalosa

Return to Bata Drums