Isla Mahogany Bata

Let's discuss about the origin and history of this beautiful instrument...

Isla Mahogany Bata

Postby bongosnotbombs » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:04 pm

Just received the Iya to complete my second Isla bata set. I sold my canoe set to Congadelica a while back. How are those drums doing Marco?

Anyways, these drums sound totally beautiful. A very clean and clear tone from these drums, well, except the Iya enu, that is going to need some fardela for sure, but when it gets some, look out, I can already feel the bass in my chest when I thump that drum. The enu on this Iya is larger than my previous set of canoe bata.

The mahogany is really very beautiful and what is nice is that it is lighter than I remember the canoe wood, even the larger Iya I have now. I think the mahogany is a lighter wood.

These have been made with the typical Isla rustic look. The glues lines are nice and tight, which has been a topic in the past. The hardware is the same strong stuff that I have on my quinto that has endured hundreds of hours of rumba. The skins have been tanned and cured by Isla in Belize. Not the same kind of quality you are going to get from Jay or Matt, but then again those guys don't make drums quite like these.

Well guess it's time to get the toque study group back together.

Now the pictures 8)
Attachments
DSCF2310.JPG
DSCF2311.JPG
DSCF2312.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Re: Isla Mahogany Bata

Postby SpEd » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Beautiful bnb... Enjoy
SpEd

Postby MichaelC » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:58 am

Congrats!! Those are really nice. Ache!
MichaelC

Postby Mr. Conga » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:12 am

HEY BONGOS,
CONGRATS.....WHAT DO YOU MEAN FOR NOT THE SAME QUALITY AS YOU ARE GONNA GET FROM MATT, AND JAY?....

YOU MEAN THEY ARE BETTER? BETTER QUALITY? BETTER SOUND?
Mr. Conga

Postby bongosnotbombs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:14 pm

Thanks for all the compliments guys. Isla makes a great drum, but they aren't made with the same level of finish as Matt's or Jay's, those guys are the superior craftsmen for sure. Saying that all the Isla's I've had, have really incredible sound. The quinto I've had for the longest has held up very well under demanding conditions.

Also Matt and jay make their bata in a much different manner and shape. Their bata are made from two conical shape sections glued together, one for the cha and the enu. Isla makes theirs from staves in a more traditional shape. That is really what I mean when I say Jay and Matt don't make drums like this.
Attachments
mattsmithbata.jpg
Matt Smith Bata
mattsmithbata.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 11493 times
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Lovin' your drums! Can't wait to get back to mine after this trip! We had to rework the really screwed up bearing edges,, re-glue a longitudinal split on the Iya, and rehead every enu and cha since they were mounted flush with the bearing edges... Not at all what I expected,, but whatever,, kind of fun to have something to tinker with.. Had a good bata lesson yesterday, and another one tonight! G.. saw you at Yerba Buena, was going to say hi, but you were gone when I got up.. Good show! Sandy's awesome!
windhorse

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Oh man Dave, I didn't know you were there. Sorry I missed you. Hey did you happen to recognize that red and black shekere Santos was playing for the whole gig? One of mine that I gave Sandy right before the show for his birthday. I guess it got a the seal of approval. I was pretty stoked to see it being played up there.
bongosnotbombs

Postby windhorse » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Nice badge of honor.. yeah, I saw it! Sounded great! Of course Santos on shaker rules!
windhorse

Postby Mr. Conga » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:35 am

נקמגןבןםמקד ו/ק גןםד נקמגןעש שאםגםד דוד רוצנקרםד
Mr. Conga

Postby Mr. Conga » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 am

NICE ..IT MUST HAVE BEEN NICE SEEING SANDY, AND SANTOS PLAY...

DID U GUYS RECORD SANTOS....I LIKE SEEING SANTOS TALK SO PASSIONATELY ABOLUT THIS MUSIC AND PLAY..IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF U GUYS RECORDED VIDEO FOOTAGE.
Mr. Conga

Postby windhorse » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:37 pm

Canu's Re-worked, re-headed, and sounding awesome...
Attachments
it.jpg
Enu
it2.jpg
cha
windhorse

Return to Bata Drums