Maraca ???

... post here historical info of any other musical instrument non specified in the above forum (suggest here to open a new forum!)..

Maraca ???

Postby Anonimo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:07 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Re: Maraca ???

Postby Chupacabra » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:37 pm

I don't think there is any answer to that question. The concept of using a shaker styled instrument has existed in almost every indigenous culture that has ever existed - maybe even before there were continents. They have been used for ceremonial purposes and for rhythm long, long before Columbus, daGama, deChamplain, Cortéz, etc., were sailing around the world labelling everything they saw as "Property of..." and planting their flags.

This is like trying to find out who invented the drum. :roll:

Good luck with your search!
... --- ... ... --- ... ...---...
Chupacabra

Postby Thomas Altmann » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:54 pm

I find that Venezuela has cultivated the most refined, elaborated maraca playing style and -technique, in Joropo for instance. The Cuban Maracas are said to be of Indian origin; and the Taino originally came from Venezuela to conquer the Caribbean islands; pretty cruel people by the way. So if I made both ends meet, I would conclude that the Taino Indians brought the maracas from Venezuela to the Caribbean. It might be hard to trace the origin even farther back, as these guys didn't write any ethnohistorical books for us.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Anonimo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Anonimo

Postby docarroyo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Ok I have a confession IT WAS ME, of course it was in a former life I was called MA Raka I lived in the island state of Atlantis the location which I can not reveal at this time but it was in the caribean. What happened was I went to a jam session to play cueros but everyone else was there and I couldn't grab a drum, so I was frustrated drinking fermented coconut milk and munching on guanabana. Not wanting to just spit the seeds on the ground I spit them into the empty coconut shells. Then realized no one was playing palitos so I went to my canoe to get mine and when I got back to the rumba someone else beat me to it and guess who it was. Thats right it was Cuco but he was called something else back then I can't remember what. So I was really pissed off now and in my anger I stuck the stick in the coconut to use as a weapon to fight with Cuco he saw what I did grabed the other coconut and did the same thing. We started shacking them at each other and everyone started saying to shake them in time cause it sounded good. I shook it first at Cuco but he will tell you it was him who shook it first, don't belive him it was me. So it was me who invented the Maracas in Atlantis, and when the Island went down it spread around the globe in different forms. I think Cuco was called Tim Balero back then. Of course you will have some guys say that in the "Books" they read this is wrong and that their studies in ethonomusicology makes them the authority, but dudes I lived it me and Tim Balero were there. So don't give me any poop or I will report you and have this thread deleted.
docarroyo

Postby Chupacabra » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Thanks for clearing that up!

I was just about to conduct a long-winded research with my friends at UWik(ipedia) with regards to this and it turns out they are 32% wrong 50% of the time anyway! I think I'll enjoy all the time you just saved me by cracking open a cold beer and turning up the stereo - playing some Tito Puente this afternoon. And then who knows what else?

Speaking of maracas.... what do they put in them anyway? Is it seeds? Beads? Wood pellets? Desiccated monkey testicles? I'm not about to saw mine open to find out, maybe someone can enlighten us?
Chupacabra

Postby ABAKUA » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:34 am

docarroyo wrote:Ok I have a confession IT WAS ME, of course it was in a former life I was called MA Raka I lived in the island state of Atlantis the location which I can not reveal at this time but it was in the caribean. What happened was I went to a jam session to play cueros but everyone else was there and I couldn't grab a drum, so I was frustrated drinking fermented coconut milk and munching on guanabana. Not wanting to just spit the seeds on the ground I spit them into the empty coconut shells. Then realized no one was playing palitos so I went to my canoe to get mine and when I got back to the rumba someone else beat me to it and guess who it was. Thats right it was Cuco but he was called something else back then I can't remember what. So I was really pissed off now and in my anger I stuck the stick in the coconut to use as a weapon to fight with Cuco he saw what I did grabed the other coconut and did the same thing. We started shacking them at each other and everyone started saying to shake them in time cause it sounded good. I shook it first at Cuco but he will tell you it was him who shook it first, don't belive him it was me. So it was me who invented the Maracas in Atlantis, and when the Island went down it spread around the globe in different forms. I think Cuco was called Tim Balero back then. Of course you will have some guys say that in the "Books" they read this is wrong and that their studies in ethonomusicology makes them the authority, but dudes I lived it me and Tim Balero were there. So don't give me any poop or I will report you and have this thread deleted.

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Anonimo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:19 am

Anonimo

Postby Mr. Conga » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 am

THOMAS ALTA.....SO R U SAYING THAT TAINO ARE ORIGANALLY FROM VENEZUELA, AND WENT TO THE CARABEAN TO CONQUER IT?
Mr. Conga

Postby Thomas Altmann » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:43 am

Mr. Conga:

THOMAS ALTA.....SO R U SAYING THAT TAINO ARE ORIGANALLY FROM VENEZUELA, AND WENT TO THE CARABEAN TO CONQUER IT?

Exactly. I wish I could deliver you a reference in literature, a direct quote from a scholar authority or the like; but this belongs to the information that I just grabbed from somewhere and forgot the source, because I never thought I would ever have to prove it. I read it in some book probably, and since that I have taken it for true.

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Postby Derbeno » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:01 pm

I would say 'the Orinoco region of the mainland'. Venezuela did not exist and is a subsequent European invention.

It is claimed that all the inhabitants of the respective Antilian islands, Taino, Carib, Arowak, rowed from the mainland.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Anonimo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:47 am

Anonimo

Postby Mr. Conga » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:26 am

THOMAS Altaman, i wish you could run ointo that book, or information, when you look trough your books.....i would like to read the whole chapter.

Because to my knowledge Tainos were the native indians that lived in Puerto Rico, before it became a country, Tainos the indigionous people of Puerto Rico, before Soniards got there.
Mr. Conga

Postby docarroyo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 am

REALLY? please educate yourselves the internet is a great resource of information. Just do a web search of "WHO were the Taino" . Just remember that these are all educated guesses, no one really knows for sure since there is no written record of migration patterns. Also keep in mind that it was not just Tainos who inhabited the greater and lesser Antillies there were also Caribes among others. I thought all of this was commen knowledge, Calletano Coll y Toste wrote of more recent history of the natives who inhabited the Islands in colonial times. Theres even a book on the Idioma de los Tainos written by him.
docarroyo

Postby Chupacabra » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:33 pm

... just to try to keep this train on it's tracks (because it's an interesting discussion), do any of those books you mentioned say anything about their rituals and/or ceremonies that might indicate that the Spanish colonialists or other newcomers may have copied some of their instruments or rhythmic patterns that could have evolved into the current playing style of maracas? What does "Idioma" de los Tainos mean in English... I know "de los" means "of the" I would be interested in seeing this book.

There was a fascinating documentary put on a few years ago that was narrated by Kevin Costner entitled "500 Nations" http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 1041698993 that discussed in great detail the origins of First Nations cultures in pre-colonial times.

"500 Nations is an eight part documentary on the Native Americans of North and Central America. It documents from pre-Columbian to the end of the 19th century. Much of the information comes from text, eyewitnesses, pictorials, and computer graphics. The series was hosted by Kevin Costner, and directed by Jack Leustig. It included the voice talents of narrator Gregory Harrison, Eric Schweig, Wes Studi, Edward James Olmos, and Patrick Stewart. "500 Nations tries to crystallize the sweeping events that reshaped North America- one of the largest and most pivotal stories in human history - a story we feel is widely unknown. Often painful, sometimes shocking, but in the end it is simply about understanding." Kevin Costner"

There was one episode that described how the conquest of the Carribean, South America, and Most of North America began from first contact with Columbus and followed up with the Conquistadors (Hernando Cortez, if I remember correctly). I am now going to view that whole series again because it was fascinating and it can be seen at the above link.

It will be hard for me to see this again because I also remember how shocking the level of brutality and inhumanity was towards the indigenous civilizations (and among the original tribes, themselves) and the land they lived on during this time. And there was a period of time that I really felt ashamed to be white and it changed the way I look at every thing that we take for granted now and how our comfortable and decadent way of life, like modern-day Aztecs, came at a very high cost to others in past generations. And it's all gone now, forever.
Chupacabra

Next

Return to Miscellanea of history!