Timbale Recordings - Timbale featured recordings

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby mcraghead » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Since I'm new to the timbales I was wondering if there were any recommendations for recordings that feature timbales. I have a couple of Tito Puente recordings that my instructor recomended: "Goza Mi Timbal" and "Top Percussion". Anybody else that I should give a listen to? Thanks.
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:14 pm

Some of my personal favourites include work by Ralph Irizarry, Orestes Vilato, Jimmy Delgado, Changuito, Jimmy Branly, Marc QuiƱones, Nicky Marrero, Johnny Almendra, I dig Anga's timbal playing also, there are many many good timbaleros, past and present.

Check out some awesome work recorded by Ralph Irizarry Y Su Timbalaye, in an up tempo latin jazz instrumental vibe.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ralph » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:27 pm

i think you owe it to yourself to pick up some stuff by Conjunto Libre, or Manny Oquendo Y Libre (as they are known now)...also stuff by Eddie Palmieri, with none other than the great Manny Oquendo on the timbal...if you as me, thats where the flavor is...
You should check out:
Molasses- Eddie Palmieri (showcasing Manny Oquendo's mozambique rhythm
El Nuevo Sonido' Eddie Palmieri with Cal tjader (showcasing a clean Manny on timbal with a super tight band)

I think it depends, there are alot of different ways to play timbal, you can play tipico style or other:
I would recommend Manny Oquendo, Jimmy Delgado, Ubaldo Nieto, Unialpo Diaz, Orestes Varona, Mike Collazo, Charlie Santiago for a more charanga oriented tipico style...
other timbaleros: check out Abakua's post....
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:45 pm

YO MC...Tito Puente put out a book on learning to play timbales, tha tcomes with a play along CD with charts and everthing...I use it to teach my students on how to play timbales....it'sa goood start...it's called...."Tito Puente's-Drumming with the Mambo King..by Tito Puente and Jim Payne at ...www.hudsonmusic.com, it cost $35 bucks but worth it....covers it all....I would reocmmend my favorite personal timbale player Mr. Willie "Bobo" Correa to listen to as well as Carmelo Garcia(Mongos band early 60's),Chepito with Santana, and also "Changito" who also has a timbale book out which is a bit more advanced.....WELCOME to our Family of Drummers...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D PS ...the timbales I am playing in this photo are size 12 and 13 solid brass-Slingerland Timbales circa late 50's early 60's...bought them in a pawn shop in Studio City CA in 1980 for 5o bucks, with stand and case.....I wouldnt sell them for a thousand...one of a kind sound...this is the Alma Villegas Quintet-Seattle,WA 2005...

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... as_Quintet
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:20 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:PS ...the timbales I am playing in this photo are size 12 and 13 solid brass-Slingerland Timbales circa late 50's early 60's...bought them in a pawn shop in Studio City CA in 1980 for 5o bucks, with stand and case.....I wouldnt sell them for a thousand...one of a kind sound...

50 bucks!!!...must have a nice sound...i peronally do not like today's timbales, and the way the cascara sounds...not tight enough, i bet the Slingerlands sound nice...
what king of bells you got on them? by the way in that picture is the conguero playing skin on skins?

Edited By ralph on 1124565666
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:31 pm

Yea these timbales are "ol skool" sound with shells that are only 6 inches deep and 'solid" brass and heavy. very dry cascara. On those "skin on skins" is Matt Dressler a local percussionist here in Seattle......I use Pearl New Bala bells-cha cha and mambo bells...also check out Tito de Gracia and Endel Dueno on timbales, they are out of Puerto Rico and are "heavy duty" players....."JC" Johnny Conga...PS.. also let's not forget my homeboys Johnny Almendra and Mike Collazo..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:47 am

To start my recommendation is Tito Puente and Jim Payne's "Drumming with the Mambo King"...In my opinion the best beginner and basic timbale book. Has a CD with demos of the basic patterns in the timbale and it has some of Tito's most famous songs that could be played along with charts that are included in the book.

This is a straight to the basics book, that includes history of Tito's career plus history of afro cuban music.

Take it from there....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby zaragemca » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:41 pm

Recording Timbales....Remember that one thing is playing,and something else is recording,there are a lot of tricks which are of the knowledge only of the Producer/Engineer.(the team).This is my later recording in the top studio of the south west,(Sugar Hills Studios).Dr.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1126050411

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 0114-a.jpg
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:31 pm

Oye Zara ..are those Matador timbales in the photo with you??..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:24 pm

Greeting JC,the Timbales are tuned for the recording of some solos in the Raggae Band were I played,it was just an idea which came when we were recording,(which is also the reason that nothing else is on top of it).Saludos,Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1126546229
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:25 am

Oye compadre, que clase de timbal,cual es el nombre de los timbales usted usando?..."JC" Johnny Conga... ???
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:40 am

Can we download MP3's here????....i never tried before and am trying now....'JC" Johnny Conga ???
JohnnyConga

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:19 am

JohnnyConga wrote:Oye compadre, que clase de timbal,cual es el nombre de los timbales usted usando?..."JC" Johnny Conga... ???

You're right JC, definately Matadors there the Dr is posing behind. You can make out the logo on the shell.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby zaragemca » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:28 pm

I'm sorry brother the Timbales are Matador.Dr Zaragemca
zaragemca

Return to Timbales