Impulsive Purchase

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Impulsive Purchase

Postby mydogsowner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:32 pm

I have been wanting some timbales for a while now. I have been looking out for a good used LP Matador set for a beginner like myself to learn on.

Well, I think I got a good deal on a Gon Bops Tumbao set instead. I paid 175, shipping included. They are a 9.5 on a 1-10 scale condition-wise. But, I have never heard this set played. I have faith in the Gon Bops brand {and LP} so I went ahead with the purchase. No cowbells or blocks included, but the DW stand is.

So, whatcha all think?
mydogsowner

Re: Impulsive Purchase

Postby b0ng0 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:48 am

Saludos,
Hmm well that set goes new for abt 350 or so, and if you say its in really good condition, i'd say u got a good deal, and a nice set to learn on, once you start to improve on skills you can upgrade to remo heads for a more impressive sound..congrats on your purchase!
b0ng0

Postby mydogsowner » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:54 am

Bongo~

Thanks for responding. I only wish I knew if the sound quality was good, so I am full of hope for now.

I'm pretty excited to get them....

Peace and Happy Holidays,
Lisa
mydogsowner

Postby b0ng0 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:25 am

Lisa,

I think you can breathe easy, if the set goes for abt $350+ , it will be the equivalent of the LP matador, maybe even better. So I think you got a good deal, a friend of mine purchased the pearl primero pro steel timbales for about $200, and even those sounded pretty good...so you got a good set of workhorse timbales on the way, remember timbales will sound good up to a certain point, the rest will depend on your skills... just remember study, practice & have fun with it....goodluck & happy holidays.
b0ng0

Postby VJBaros » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 am

Is it brass? I have brushed nickel matador timbales. They are good workhorses. But they sounded kinda cany and tin like. So I put rubber behind the inside plates and I use coated ambassadors.
VJBaros

Postby mydogsowner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:30 pm

No, they are steel. I am still waiting on them to be delivered.

How did you place the rubber? And where did you get it from?

I have used moon gel before; is it like that?
mydogsowner

Return to Timbales