Timbale tuning

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby Norte » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:54 pm

A recent trip to a music store made me wonder about my timbales' tuning, in particular the macho.

The set I own had the heads replaced by the store with Aquarian Satin Finish Texture Coated heads (The set had been brought in for a demo, hence the new heads). Therefore they don't strictly have "factory tuning".

I visited the drum room at a Guitar Center in D.C. this weekend (incidentally the loudest place on Earth on a Saturday) and they had several LP, Pearl and Toca sets on the floor. All of them seemed to be tuned much higher than mine.

Can I check the tuning with a digital tuner (I've got one kicking around here somewhere)? If so, what should the macho be tuned to?

What I find very confounding, is that the sound samples from various timbale book/cds and websites don't offer a consistent sound.

Thanks!

Edited By Norte on April 22 2003 at 19:55
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie.
Norte

Postby 120decibels » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:21 pm

Norte,

Having visited some Guitar Centers in the D.C. area, I had to write to agree with you that they are the loudest places in the area on a Saturday afternoon. It's unbelievable how much volume 4-5 heavy metal drummers can put out. I suppose that they do play with some thick f**king sticks.

Where are you in D.C.?

Timbale tuning, like everything else, is very subjective. I've tried to match some records, tune what sounds good to me, etc. Invariably, I am happy for a while and then I decide to tune a different inteval or set of pitches.

Generally, I look for an interval like a fourth so that the drums aren't too dissonant when played together.

Good luck,

Zach
120decibels

Postby Norte » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:59 pm

I was actually just visiting D.C. That's where I'm originally from (AU Park), but now I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Due to different immigration patterns the Cuban/Latin American community in Ottawa is fairly small, and this is reflected in what you see in the music stores. I can't blame anyone from Havana who doesn't want to move to -40 F winters. Luckily the store I patronise most up here can order anything.
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie.
Norte

Postby Raymond » Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:08 pm

I personally tune by what I have listended to it and depending on what I feel: old school/traditional or new. Your sticks and the heads you use could make a difference in how you sound.

I have found that some people sound better with certain tuning than others and vice versa, maybe is their technique and the sticks you use.

There are various schools of tuning: old school and new school. Obviously, old school has a lower tuning than the new school in which the tuning is higher. (If you listen for example to Tito Puente most of his recording have the traditional, lots of overtone, low tuning. Listen for example some Marc Quinones stuff with the group DLG and the tuning is "crisp").

As I mentioned, the sticks make a difference too. Thicker sticks will give you a lower tone sound than hitting with a thinner stick. All of these is without dealing with the kind of head (thickness, type, etc)....

Is you call....what sound do you like.?...

Saludos
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:57 am

Here's how I saw Tito Puente tune his timbale to the song "Si tu bonbon mamita me taillamando." So you take the si tu bon bon part and that is what he tuned to ..Don don deen deen
Si tu bon bon. there is some "old skool" sheeeeeeet!. for ya ........At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA...... ;)
JohnnyConga

Return to Timbales