Warm up - before practicing

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby pini » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:56 pm

Hi all ,

Can u please suggest or share with me , what type of warm up's u do before playing or before practice ?

pini

Edited By pini on Sep. 14 2003 at 19:03
pini

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:44 pm

Basic rudiments-single strokes, double strokes,paradidles, and so forth then into warming up playing a variety of differnt rhythms and "holding them"(playing them for a while ), then practicing with music. Practice rolls, lots of rolls, we have a tendancy to forget about being able to do rolls on timbales or congas, so do lots of rolls.. this would be my recommendation...At your Service.. JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby pini » Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:26 pm

Dont u feel sometimes that your hands are stiff before playing and need to be streched ?

As for myslef i otfen need to strech them and even wash them with hot water ... somehow it helps me , but i dont know why they are so "cold" before playing , maybe i can refer to that as in sports when fitness is measured as how fast your heart reached its needed rate and how fast it gets back to relax pulses after finishing with the sport ?

could it be becuase i am not yet in the needed fitness ?
pini

Postby CongaMan » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:41 pm

This are good example of warm-up exercises for congas, enjoy!

D = destra = right
L = sinistra = left

:D

Edited By CongaMan on Sep. 14 2003 at 23:43
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby tamboricua » Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:54 pm

pini wrote:Hi all ,

Can u please suggest or share with me , what type of warm up's u do before playing or before practice ?

pini

Hi Pini, hope all is well! Are you referring to warming up on timbales or tumbadoras?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby pini » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:40 pm

just the timbales

10x
pini

Postby tamboricua » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:38 pm

pini wrote:just the timbales

10x

Hi Pini, hope all is well! For warming up on timbales before practicing or performing I like to do what is know in snare drum technique as "flat flams". Basically, when playing "flat flams" both hands hit the drum or practice pad at the same time, both hands mirror each other. Start at a slow to moderate tempo then increase the speed and go back to the starting tempo, repeat as desire! After that I like to do some single, doubles, and some paradiddles incorporating or accenting the clave figure.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Return to Timbales