Skins

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby hughyg » Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:15 pm

Howdy peoples
I've got a set of 14,15 brass Lois Conte timbales, just wondering what skins you guys use?
Cheers,
Hugh
hughyg

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:08 pm

I do have the Luis Conte Brass and have Remo Weatherkings Ambassador Clear. These types and are currently the most used and are the most versatile. (Equivalent is Evans G1). You could play with the tuning depending what sound you are seeking. The clear will give more volume than the coated ones because of some overtones. The coated ones are also used a lot.

People tend to use combinations depending on what sound they want. For modern sound, the Ambassadors tend to give you that. Some people mix them to try to get the traditional "fat" sound in the hembra with Remo Pinstripes or other type of thick heads could do the trick. (Or too modern, putting Pinstripes in the macho but is "too crispy" the sound).

Some people use combinations with Remo Diplomats to give you a "traditional" sound in the 'macho" drum but for my taste it gives you a sound like your playing a "can.'

I know in the latest models, Luis Contes, as well as other Meinl timbales, are coming standard with Evans G1 Coated (that are equivalent to Remo Ambassador). (Mine came with the "cheap" Meinl heads that do not resist a lot). (Evans has some Timbale heads that I've heard from some people that are pretty good but are too thins for my taste)

Trial and error here....Start with the Ambassadors if you like and compare with others.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Tamborim » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:04 pm

hughyg wrote:Howdy peoples
I've got a set of 14,15 brass Lois Conte timbales, just wondering what skins you guys use?
Cheers,
Hugh

Hello, and my respects.

I use brass shelled LP Tito Puente timbales 14" + 15" shells.

On the Hembra I use a coated Remo Emperor head. This gives me the warmth and depth that I like to hear.

For the Macho, I use a coated Remo Diplomat. This is a very thin head and had great attack for rim shots.

These days I am thinking of switching to Evans heads. They seem to be of a higher quality than the Remo.

When choosing a head, always hold it close to your ear and listen for the clearest sustain. Among a rack of heads are the "sweet" ones. It is well worth taking the time to find them.

All the best, and good luck.

Edited By Tamborim on 1104412446
Tamborim

Postby Tamborim » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:06 pm

Double post.

Sorry.

Edited By Tamborim on 1104343774
Tamborim

Postby Raymond » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:51 am

Tamborim,

If you want to hear my experience, I prefer Remo over Evans. Somehow I have problems getting the right tuning with the Evans. Have you tried the Remo's Weatherking Ambassadors?. They are the best in my opinion. The Diplomat you are using, in my experience, tend to sound too metalic to the thinness of the head.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Tamborim » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:13 pm

Raymond wrote:Tamborim,

If you want to hear my experience, I prefer Remo over Evans. Somehow I have problems getting the right tuning with the Evans. Have you tried the Remo's Weatherking Ambassadors?. They are the best in my opinion. The Diplomat you are using, in my experience, tend to sound too metalic to the thinness of the head.

Saludos!

Hello Raymond. My respects.

Yes I have long experience with Remo. I have been using Remo for about 27 years now. Over the years I think I have used all of their heads. I am primarily a trap set player. But have played percussion for some years now. I enjoy the Diplomat on my brass shell timbales because I find I get both cut, and warmth. My heads are coated; something I notice I wrote incorrectly as clear. (Now edited) So there is a certain degree of control. I probably would not use a clear Diplomat with my drums. If clear, I would go for the Ambassadors. My drum set is fitted with Ambassadors all around. Except for the kick, which has an Emperor.

My interest in Evans now is mainly due to the wonderful reviews I have had from fellow drum set players. Many of them very fine instrumentalists. I figure after 27 years I should at least give the company a go. I remember when the name Evans was associated with the oil filled heads. It would be nice to see how far the company has come.

I will be sure to let you know my opinion when I try the Evans. If I am unable to get a good tuning, I can simply move the heads to my drum set. So will not have wasted any money.

I wish you well in the new year.

Edited By Tamborim on 1104412532
Tamborim

Return to Timbales