Laurent Lamy

Postby CongaMan » Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:53 am

Hi,
the book can also be bought on Amazon.com at:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0967309824/congaplace

CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby martin » Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:17 am

I bought this book. I was suprised to see it doesn't really go into technique very much and gives no exercises whatsoever for stick technique. I came from playing the congas so don't even know how to hold the sticks. Does anyone know where i could find some exercises for the timbales to develop good technique? Apart from this I do think it's a great book.

martin
martin

Postby Raymond » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:35 pm

I've had the book for various months and is a pretty good book. Specially, the "solo" transcriptions or "common patterns" like cascareo, bell playing, etc. It has some exercises for independence also. The best the book has is that it gives you the "basics" in timbales and drums. From cascareos to 6/8 to mozambique. Most timbale books are intended more for beginners or experience trap drummers who want to get "latin."

Most of the timbale books do not give you basics like how to hold the sticks and/or how to hit the cowbell, etc. I believe most rely that as a timbalero you will seek "drummers" tecniques or exercise to develop your "chops" with traditional drummer books. George Lawrence Stone 's book "Stick Control" is one of the best books I've seen to develop your control in the sticks. Is a basic book, no video, no CD, etc, but is simple sand traight. Everybody I know who is a serious timbalero says that is the book (once you get past Ted Reed's Syncopation's).

I have been suggesting a good friend of mine, who is one of the top timbaleros in the business today, to go for a book that goes more "basics that are never addressed in 'gringo' oriented books, i.e., holding the sticks when playing timbales, hitting the cowbell, position your cowbells, etc, etc, . I bet that is what you looking for!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:34 pm

Hi... probabaly the first and most popular Timbale book was by Humberto Morales which has been reissued. It was printed in the late 50's and describes patterns and was done with Henry Adler. You might want to check that out . My man Victor Rendon is also a very good book ,but maybe for more intermediate to advanced players.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA............ ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Norte » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:16 am

Johnny C,

What is the title of the Humberto Morales book. Amazon lists one called "How to Play Latin American Rhythm Instruments".

Gracias,

Norte
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie.
Norte

Postby Ecuarumba » Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:25 pm

Norte,...Yeah, that's the one, it's great. I really like the Puente book too, though I never hear anyone talk much about it.
Ecuarumba

Postby Norte » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:24 am

The Tito book is great. Lots of history, and practically the entire "Dance Mania" album. The arrangements are priceless.

My only criticism, and this applies to all timbale books, is that half the exercises are for drumset. There are a MILLION drumset books and about four timbale books.
This really blew my mind, the fact that me,
an overfed, long-haired leaping gnome
should be the star of a Hollywood movie.
Norte

Postby Jongo » Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:29 pm

I recently purchased the Art of Playing Timbales Vol. 1 and I have found it to be very helpful. I learned some very basic things from an instructor but then I was on my own. The book has helped me with making transitions, playing 6/8 timbale patterns, and the independence exercises have been really helpful. When I am jamming with friends I can keep the clave with one hand and improvise with the other. I have also been working on the solo phrases a little. A lot of the book is dedicated to drum set which I do not play but there is enough to keep me busy. The book is also bilingual which is not a big deal for me but I like that it is accessible to Spanish speakers and I like the fact that I can compare the texts and see how I would say somethings in Spanish. I speak Spanish but not that well so it is helpful. I have been very pleased with this book and CD and I plan on continuing to work with it.
Juan
Jongo

Postby Raymond » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:44 pm

Rendon's book is a good one. However, I prefer Tito Puente's last book which is a more complete book. From the history of the instrument, history of the afro-cuban music genres, to written percussion music sheets of some Tito's great songs to play with, and the basics of timbale playing, Tito's biography, I think is great book to have by any timbalero!

Rendon's book has some transcriptions of solos and recommended solo patterns which is better than just Tito's solo's in Tito's book... If you could afford the two books, I think they are perhaps the best two books about timbales in the market right now!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Jongo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:25 pm

I will have to check out Tito's book. I have seen it around and looked at it once or twice but have not had the opportunity to really get into it. I photocopied some pages one time but did not have a chance to copy the rest of it. THe book was way to extensive and my boss caught me. A book by Tito Puente, I mean you really can't go wrong with that. Well if those are the two best I gotta go for it. Have you seen Changuito's book? What do you think of it?
Juan
Jongo

Return to Timbales