5 lug vs. 6 lug timbales?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby drumtramp65 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:54 am

I've read many posts on how a 5 lug timbale increases the playing area on the shell for cascara. Obviously this concept of only 5 lugs is great for that but I can't help but wonder if the tension of the head suffers because of the uneven amount of lugs. On any standard 14" snare or tom tom there are anywhere from 6-10 lugs. Regardless of the drums diameter the amount of lugs is always an even number. I don't understand how any drum, including a timbale could be evenly tuned to and hold a proper pitch with an uneven number of less than 6 lugs. I hear many good things about Pearl's Marc Q. timbales which have 5 lugs. I can't imagine that a master timbalero like Marc Q. would design and use a set of timbs if the 5 lug design created any sort of tuning problems. Can anyone elaborate on this topic?

Likes things even.
tramp
drumtramp65

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:12 am

Good point there bro,

What is the diameter of the Marc Q. timbs? I can see your point in reference to the amount of lugs, I also agree there should be an even amount of lugs.. And prefer an even amount of lugs also.

However, as long as the circumference of the drum has been divided equally to allow for even placement of the lugs, it should be fine, as long as the distance between lugs is not overly huge. I would hesitate to purchase anything with less than 5 lugs on timbales. But then again, Im not a timbalero really by trade.

On timbales, I dont think there should be a difference felt between 5 and 6 lugs, (on standard sized shells) as the strain on the shells is not that great as not too much pressure is applied as a result of the tuning in comparison to say a conga or bongo.

Our drummer/timbalero uses LP Stainless Steel Tito Puente series timbales, they sound fantastic and never has a problem with cascara surface area. (for that matter Ive never had a problem with this either or any other timbalero I know or have played with - perhaps a begginer or less experienced palyer would have this problem)

I think the 5 lugs over 6 is more of a gimick than anything else. I also fear there may be a sacrifice in uneven tension or too much distance between tension spots on the skin surface, but I dont think a difference of 5 as appose to 6 lugs would make that much of a difference...

Edited By ABAKUA on 1125551950
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby drumtramp65 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:58 am

The Pearl Marc Q's are a standard 14"/15" set. I've heard them on numerous live and studio Allman Bothers Band performances and honestly could not hear any difference from a standard 6 lug set. Keep in mind this is a loud rock concert setting which does not translate well into a small acoustic setting. I am a trap set drummer first and I am really into tuning which is probably why this question came to mind in the first place. I live in one the U.S. mecca's of music but unfortunately could not find a set to try in a store. Stores in the NY area tend to carry the entry level to mid range stuff. Anyway, I guess I have some more research to do. Thanks for the input...it's much appreciated.
tramp
drumtramp65

Postby zaragemca » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:27 pm

Greeting,the 5 lugs system if not uneven,it is set up in a pentagram,(five sides),which is even on all five sides,it was in used in Cuba for long time,also in the Congas.But at one point as more lugs to the shells as less freedom for it to vibrate,(it is a physical equation).Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:35 am

I got you before but for the record and benefit of others, have to give the benefit of the doubt to Pearl who "dare" to go with the 5 lugs. As Abakua mentioned, if the distance and the pressure that only 5 lugs give do the job of tuning the timbales, it should not be a problem. Also, I have noticed that the MQ timbales have the head (and the part that puts the tension) separated more from the shells than the LP Tito Puente. (Just a little bit...not that much)....

I've had the timbales for over a year and have played with them a lot (approximately once a week and even more) I have not had problems with it. I mentioned here that I tested the MQs with the LPs TP, with the same heads Ambassador Clear, and the MQs gave me a little more volume. I achieved the same tuning in both timbales. The cascara in the MQs is sharper and feels more solid because of the lack of overtones. Most timbaleros will tell you that the new timbales coming out appear to have less steel and you could hear the overtones a lot. However, you do not get that feeling in the MQs.

LPs are great timbales are "keepers"....However, the Pearl MQs are as good and are priced much better and like a friend of mine, and LP endorser told me, they are keepers also...

(Drumtrap) if you are looking for a set of MQs, let me know so I could find out where you could test them in your area...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mco » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:52 am

As far as tuning the MQ five lug timbales goes, I've noticed that I need to be a little more careful in making sure that the head of the hembra is evenly tightened all the way around. If the tightness of one the lugs is a little off I've found that it results in some noticeable overtones. I don't observe this with the macho head, most likely due to its smaller size and higher tuning. On 6-lug timbales, I've found that I don't have to be quite as precise.
I'm very happy with my MQ's and love the sound of their loud, dry cascara. I've been using the new Pearl Horacio Hernandez
ChaBella (H3) cha-cha bell in combination with an LP Uptown Salsa bell. The Chabella has a lower pitch than either of the LP Salsa cha-cha bells and to my ears has a pleasing sound.
mco

Return to Timbales