timbale sticks

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby pidoca » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:20 am

Gday everyone.

Why are timbale sticks diferent from drumsticks? What is the history of timbale sticks? my understanding is that timbales are a relative of the timpany used in orchestral percussion. They use mallets; which have a felt end - similar to a drum stick, in as much as it as a diferrent drum stricking point.

what is the sound difference when using timbale sticks or drum stick on timbales.

thank you in advance.

God Bless
Pidoca
[url=cabritamusic.com]cabrita music[/url]
pidoca

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Unfortunately I don´t know about the history of timbales sticks.
But certainly Drumstics, i.e. sticks designed for playing the drumset are way too heavy plus you can´t really control the cascara sound. At least that´s my experience..
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby ralph » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:02 pm

timbal sticks, are straight sticks, and don't have that ball at the end that most trap drum stick have...
A good thing to note is that the original timbal sticks were made out of guayaba, a fruit, they were very light and flexible, so this is a bit of the history of the sticks, also timbales used to have skin heads, used to be made out of wood...how they made the sticks out of guayaba, now thats a good question, nowadays some timbaleros will tape up the sticks, because the wooden sticks break more often that the original guayaba sticks which were more flexible...Manny Oquendo explains a little of this on his instructional video.
ralph

Postby Diceman » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:18 pm

I use light sticks to start the gig and change to a heavier set (kept in my back pocket) for when things get noisy, as they always do.
Check out Carl Perazza's sticks, as seen on his video with Raul Reckow, they look like a compromise between drum and timbales sticks.
Another observation is that the sticks make a huge difference with the cascara sound, so try different sticks before you throw out the tibales.
Does anyone have any hints on improving the sound of the cascara, once the sticks have been tried?

Diceman
Diceman

Postby pidoca » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:23 am

Hi All

Thank you for you replies, If I could add another question. Drumset playeer have cymbals, right, and they use sticks with beads; and a good player can get different ounds out of a drum and a cymbal depending on how they use the stick.

So It would make sense to use a drumset stick on timabales shells.

For the record, i curently use alex acuna sticks. They are timbale sticks.

Thank you
Pidoca
http://WWW.cabritamusic.com
pidoca

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:33 am

Hey Richard!
You need to see a decent timbal teacher dude. :D
I got just the man for ya.
Our timbalero uses drum sticks because he plays drums and timbales in combo as seen in modern cuban timba.
As for different sounds, its all about having correct technique and skill, something which a good teacher can show you.

Let me know if you want his details. I can guarantee you he's unlike anything you've ever seen, in my opinion, the best in Australia.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1125473702
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby pidoca » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:14 am

Hey marcelo, i would love to have his details, could you txt them to me.

Ta, catch up with you real soon.

Ciao
pidoca

Postby ABAKUA » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:30 pm

You got PM bro! :)
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby zaragemca » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:31 pm

Greeting,the used of sticks for drumming was observe by the Romans during the Battle for Africa(202 BC), where Hannibal,(which was impressed observing the Araras using the drums for wars),started using it to fight,and that's the way it get to the western.The aerodynamic features of the drum/sticks was created to facilitate the rebounds and articulation of all the rutines incorporated in the teaching of drumming,differents heads provide differents touch/sound,(specially in the Cymbals),which at that time was so important in the Swing/Jazz times,and before the incorporation of the Brushes,Rods,Tubes and Mallets,to play the Drum/Set.The Pailas,(Timbales),was a modification of the European Timpanies which were to heavy for carring around,so the percussionists of the Cuba's Tipical Orquestas,(around 1880's). started designing something more easy to transport,which was called 'Pailas' becouse its resamblance to those items which are used to boil liquits.Since the "paileros' didn't have to deal with Cymbals at the begining,not attention was place in the aerodinamic design of the Drum/sticks.The wood for the manufacturing of the Timbales/sticks was a trial where some percussionists would like Jiqui,Majagua,Guayaba,Caoba,etc.The bell was incorporated in around 1925,and the Cymbal was incorporated from the Jazz/Bands,and later a Chinese Wooden Box.Goat/skin was generally used for the heads.Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1126052400
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby cubanrcn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:46 pm

What sticks do you guys recommend? I currently use Regal tip Timbale sticks anyone like these?
cubanrcn

Postby tamboricua » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:20 pm

cubanrcn wrote:I currently use Regal tip Timbale sticks anyone like these?

Hi cubanrcn,

Hope all is well. I did use Regal Tip's "Changuito" Model timbales stick for a while, but back then if you can find a pair that was straight you were very lucky. The bounce on those was felt very akward. I don't know if they have improve on that, hopefully! Also used Zildjian's MQ's Salsa timbale stick, very good timbale stick but very expensive. Lately, I have been using Pro-Mark's TH716 and also their new "Mambo" model which is a 8/16 when I need more projection.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1126888327
tamboricua

Postby cubanrcn » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:18 pm

The Regals felt comfortable compared to the Vic Firth, Zildjan, LP's sticks. Also, they don't break as easy. The other problem I have is, those are the only sticks that are available to find in my area. As for the sticks you have mentioned to me, do you know where I can buy them?
cubanrcn

Postby Raymond » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:21 pm

What sticks to use is very personal. Example...I have big hands and like a long reach stick...Don't like them too thin. (I have big hands that maybe does not have anything to do with it but I want to feel the stick...can't get that feeling from a thin stick).

Vic Firth's Alex Acuna used to be reliable but lately the tips have been breaking on me. (My favorite stick Zildjian Marc Quinones Rock Model, and the salsa ones, suffer from that problem.. Personally, I do not like to get the "dip" part out to use the other end because it helps me with the "sweaty palm" condition I have).

My recommendation go to the store and try them....get a couple of variations and see the stick you want. (Use them in live situation to see how reliable it is). It is trial and error here, in my opinion.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:41 pm

cubanrcn wrote:The other problem I have is, those are the only sticks that are available to find in my area. As for the sticks you have mentioned to me, do you know where I can buy them?

Hi cubanrcn,

Hope all is well! I know what you mean, many drum shops in the U.S. only carry one brand of sticks, if you get lucky maybe two brands. Check out for the following stores online: Sam Ash, Interstate Music, Woodwind & Brasswind, Midwest Percussion, Steve Weiss, Lonestar Percussion. Agree lots of trial and error till you find the perfect one!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby cubanrcn » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:01 pm

tamboricua wrote:
cubanrcn wrote:The other problem I have is, those are the only sticks that are available to find in my area. As for the sticks you have mentioned to me, do you know where I can buy them?

Hi cubanrcn,

Hope all is well! I know what you mean, many drum shops in the U.S. only carry one brand of sticks, if you get lucky maybe two brands. Check out for the following stores online: Sam Ash, Interstate Music, Woodwind & Brasswind, Midwest Percussion, Steve Weiss, Lonestar Percussion. Agree lots of trial and error till you find the perfect one!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Thank you. I will check them out. Appreciate the info.
cubanrcn

Next

Return to Timbales