Timbale - recording...?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby timo » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:39 am

what is the best way to record timbales? how should the mics be positioned for best sound quality?
timo

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:39 pm

For my percussion group we simply use an overhead mic when playing in concerts. With small gigs, even without microphones - timbales are fairly loud , aren´t they?
Afro-Cuban All Starts, I mean Amadito Valdez has these incredible meinl timbs, and they really cut through without being amplified.
If you´re talking about Woodstock dimensions: that is another matter, of course;-)

I remember earlier posts as well on recording..
Mike

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 13, 2001 5:42 am

Have you guys heard of "Thunder Timbs"? If so, do u like them, and why? JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby SalsaJefe » Sun Jan 13, 2002 10:34 pm

I found that you need to watch the mic type and positioning. Relative to the bells and timbs. You can use an overhead for the timbs but you might want to point one right at the bells.

I have had recordings where the bell (specifically on the neck) can hardly be heard, due to the timbs overpowering.
SalsaJefe

Postby cubanrcn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:23 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:Have you guys heard of "Thunder Timbs"? If so, do u like them, and why? JC JOHNNY CONGA....

I might be missing your point JC. Please explain. I also would like the correct way to position my mic.
cubanrcn

Postby tamboricua » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:58 pm

cubanrcn wrote:
JohnnyConga wrote:Have you guys heard of "Thunder Timbs"? If so, do u like them, and why? JC JOHNNY CONGA....

I might be missing your point JC. Please explain. I also would like the correct way to position my mic.

Hi Cubanrcn,

Thunder Timbs are LP's Tito Puente biggest timbales set available on their line. Although, I remember JCR used to make them too, not sure if they still, Isaac? In spanish they are known as "timbalón". They come with 10" extra deep shells and 15" + 16" drumhead diameters. Very popular around the 1980's.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1128691210
tamboricua

Postby onile » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:03 pm

Alafia Tamboricua!
¡Espero que todo este bien contigo mi hermano!

Didn't Papaito play those on all of his gigs?
I remember they have a different sound to them, deeper and crisper to a point!
But I seem to remember that Papaito used to use some pretty heavy duty sticks when he played them, como bates!

Con respeto a los mayores!
Onile
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby tamboricua » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:13 pm

onile wrote:Alafia Tamboricua!
¡Espero que todo este bien contigo mi hermano!

Didn't Papaito play those on all of his gigs?
I remember they have a different sound to them, deeper and crisper to a point!
But I seem to remember that Papaito used to use some pretty heavy duty sticks when he played them, como bates!

Con respeto a los mayores!
Onile

Onile,

Saludos hermano! What Papaito played were the "pailitas cubanas". They are played with big sticks using a pattern similar to the martillo of the bongó. Today version of the pailitas are the timbalitos. The "thunder timbs" like the name itself implies has a huge sound.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1128631904
tamboricua

Postby onile » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:21 pm

Ooooops!
¡Gracias por la corrección mi hermano!
Pailitas, you are correct, now that I think of it. They were played as you pointed out. I will make a mental note!

Suave!
Onile
onile

Postby tamboricua » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:19 pm

Onile,

Take a look at the attached pic. I know it's hard to concentrate with all that "booty action" on the shot, but the guy on the back with the red Kangol cap is Pablito Rosario. There you can see his wood pailita cubana. Pablito along with Hector Rodríguez of Grupo Atabal are the only ones that I'm aware are preserving this almost extinct style of playing.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... vr0365.jpg
tamboricua

Postby onile » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:29 pm

Wao! Eso se ve increible!:D
Okay, now the pailitas, Chacho they look like bongos, you're correct! Also, using just one conga, you don't see that anymore! So let me ask you, the pailitas cubanas, I notice Pablito playing cencerro, is he using them like bongos?

I would like to hear this group. Gracias por compartiendo este photo mi hermano!

Suave!
Onile!
onile

Postby tamboricua » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:53 pm

onile wrote:So let me ask you, the pailitas cubanas, I notice Pablito playing cencerro, is he using them like bongos?

You mean playing them with the bare hands? No, he still play them with sticks and during the montuno/coro sections he goes to the hand bell, same way Papaito did with La Sonora Matancera.

That guy on the conga is Giovanni Lugo. A great sonero with a vast knowledge of "El tambor". You can tell in his inspirations.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 20-007.jpg
tamboricua

Postby onile » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:29 pm

Ahi esta el maestro Papaito!

Vaya Tamboricua!
Good information!

La bendicion mi hermano!
Onile!
onile

Postby cubanrcn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:06 pm

tamboricua wrote:
cubanrcn wrote:

Hi Cubanrcn,

Thunder Timbs are LP's Tito Puente biggest timbales set available on their line. Although, I remember JCR used to make them too, not sure if they still, Isaac? In spanish they are known as "timbalón". They come with 10" extra deep shells and 15" + 16" drumhead diameters. Very popular around the 1980's.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Gracias! But I really would like to know where the mic should be positioned?
cubanrcn

Postby tamboricua » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:29 pm

cubanrcn wrote:Gracias! But I really would like to know where the mic should be positioned?

Hi Cubanrcn,

Different sound engineers will have their own special ways and tricks for miking the timbales. I once wrote to Jon Fausty, (famous sound engineer for almost all the Fania catalog), he told me he prefers to mic the timbales from underneath. Mic's tilted towards the outer sides were you play cáscara, in that way you get both sounds drum tone and cáscara sound. Cowbells and jamblock get their separate overhead mic. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1128713714
tamboricua

Next

Return to Timbales