Timbale - recording...?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby cubanrcn » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:58 pm

tamboricua wrote:
cubanrcn wrote:Gracias! But I really would like to know where the mic should be positioned?

Hi Cubanrcn,

Different sound engineers will have their own special ways and tricks for miking the timbales. I once wrote to Jon Fausty, (famous sound engineer for almost all the Fania catalog), he told me he prefers to mic the timbales from underneath. Mic's tilted towards the outer sides were you play cáscara, in that way you get both sounds drum tone and cáscara sound. Cowbells and jamblock get their separate overhead mic. Hope this helps!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Yes it does. Thanx. Right now I use only one mic overhead. I'm using the Shure M57. It works good, but picks up the bell & clave mostly. I will pick another mic up and use them from underneath. Thanx again,

Ed
cubanrcn

Postby onile » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:56 am

Alafia Cubanrcn!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!
I am always looking for ways to economize my rigg whenever I can. If you are in for a little adventure, you might want to try the following for your timbales if you want to mic them from below!

What I did was buy an "On Stage Mic Boom" which can attach to the timbale stand, or bongo stand (if you play them standing up). Next, since you want to mic both drums, you should get a device like the one I'm attaching to the post here. I'm sorry but I don't exactly know what it is called, but you can apply two "goose necks" to it and point them in the direction you want, right under the drums.

Edited By onile on 1128736665

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... racket.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby onile » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:58 am

Here are some more pics ..
This is the Sound Stage boom mic attachment

Edited By onile on 1128736771

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... c_Clip.JPG
onile

Postby onile » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:00 am

Here is another view of it on the Timbales

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ounted.JPG
onile

Postby onile » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:01 am

and yet another view.....
All together it might run you between $40 - $55, depending on where you go (music store that is).
As I mentioned, the less equipment I have to haul around on a gig, the better. Or, you can always haul around another mic stand or two (one for each drum).

Many blessings my friend!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1128737015

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... ted__2.JPG
onile

Postby cubanrcn » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:33 am

Thanx! You was very helpful with the pics. I will try that.
cubanrcn

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:09 pm

BTW Jorge those "madera" timbales that my man Pablito is using are actually the ones that Gon-bop made back in the 70's...i remember the bands and the hardware..they area still around on Ebay...but I didnt like their sound when I tried them out many timbales ago... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... lmambo.JPG
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:12 pm

Check out this photo Of Tito Rodriguez's first band..the timbale player has a set of "Leedy Ludwigs" Humberto Morales and "he's sitting down"! and check out his left hand grip on the stick...and his cymbal stand has some stuff around the middle of it????? Also notice that the conga and bongo have NO tuning keys..they were what we used to call "heat im ups"...get out the Sterno!.....you guys got it easy today...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Alafia Mis Hermanos!
Really cool pic JC, imagine breaking out the sterno between numbers....... :D Yo! and where are the mics? (conga y bongo)

Okay, now I need some help here!
I have a set of LP Tims, 14" & 15", Stainless Steel (the ones pictured in this post earlier), and I have this annoying sound coming out of the embra. It's like a rattle or something. I just tightened every nut on it, but it is still there. Anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you get rid of it?

Suave!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1128801396
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:32 pm

Bro there were NO sound systems back in the day!, one of the reasons for the percussion to be out front ,versus being behind the Horn section. Shoot, I learned to play hard and loud because when I was coming up the only person with a mic was the singer...We just had 'TO PLAY!"....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D I also remember cats bringing sterno to the gigs for ther bongos, to heat up between sets......#### i'm getting old.... :p
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:08 pm

¡Oye brothel! Si eso esta carbón, dale a la conga sin ser amplificao. Ouch! :(

I guess I came up on the music scene at a time where we had it a bit better, but I definitley have great respect for los mayores como tu y otros.

Is it any wonder why they had to tape most of the time?!

Sigue Pa’lante Mi hermano JC!

La bendicion!
Onile!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:19 pm

I think my memory of the first time I actually had microphone to use wasn't until 1968, and I had already been playing for 3 years...I still have "my chops",as we used to say...and yes it may be a reason as to why I even tape to this day, among other reasons...but it also made u a "strong" player too....I still hit it hard, whether I have a mic or not, no matter...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:30 pm

That's what I'm talkin' bout Bro!
One of the few! The proud! The veteran congueros! :D

You keep the pulse going JC!

Suave!
Onile

Edited By onile on 1128886282
onile

Postby zaragemca » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Saludos,to the brothers,observing the hand/technique of the Timbalero in the picture and taking into account that he was in a seat up position,is telling me that he was a drummer,and was still unconfortable with the Timbales/technique,also the incorporation of the cencerro in the Timbales..Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1133199183
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Previous

Return to Timbales