Pearl MQ Timbales & fiberglass sticks - Are they worth the money?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby TampabayRey » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:36 am

Hi, I finally purchased my Timbales a couple of weeks now.
I'm totally thrill. No, I'm not being endorse by Pearl. Straight up. The cascara sound on this timbale can make a beginner sound pretty good. I bought the Marc Quionones Signature model. I did try several other brands but I kept coming back to it. Specially after hearing my 10 year old playing on them.
People stopped to look at him. He had a groove going. The stand was very solid. Tuning was simple to get too. My cowbells are being custom made by JCR. I was lucky enough to hear and play these excellent bells. Samash had a set on one of the store timbale. As far as sticks go. Has anyone used the fiberglass timbale sticks? I'm using the MQ Signature sticks. I did try the fiberglass but didn't care for them. (Except on the cowbells) as a solo. :)
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby Raymond » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Are you talking about the Mainline? (Brick colored???) I have two set of those, the thin ones and thick ones...They are good and use them once in a while......They only thing is that they tend to stain the cascara area....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby cubanrcn » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:45 am

Rey- do u have a pic of the sticks your talkin about?
cubanrcn

Postby TampabayRey » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:20 am

No Ed, But I'll take one and post it. Give me a call when you can Cubanrcn.

Hi Ray, They are white (Milk color). They sound good on the cowbell. Take care
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:25 pm

Just got my New Pearl Elite Brass 13 14...I LIKEEE!!...yea the cascara has a nice dry sound and the overall sound of them is really pretty good. I just don't like the bell attachment bar,the nut that holds the bell rod is a 9/16's WHY? why not 1/2??.....plus I don't like the fact that this is something that can get lost or missplaced or forgotten unless kept in your timbale case which I dont' have for my new ones, just for my old ones, which are actually 12/13's-Vintage Slingerlands...but overall on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give them an 8 1/2....."JC Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:08 pm

JC,

I've never taken a good look into the Pearl Elite in Brass...played them once and I like their sound... I did notice that their cowbell post/holder, stand and "drum holder" mechanism is different than the Pearl MQs...it sound the set up is like the Meinl's Luis Conte that has a nut to keep everything together, stand, cowbells, etc....it was 1/2 but I was always afraid I will lose the nut (I got eventually a butterfly type of nut) and not be able to keep everything together...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby TampabayRey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:24 am

Here is the picture of the fiberglass timbale stick.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 22_021.jpg
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby TampabayRey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:28 am

If anyone wants a set contact me before they are gone. I know of one store who still has a couple sets left. No other store in the area has them.
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby TampabayRey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:30 am

The white fiberglass stick length is 16 inch.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 22_019.jpg
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby TampabayRey » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:35 am

Here is another picture & my setup.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 22_022.jpg
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:53 pm

I remember when the "fiberglass' sticks came out in the 70's.. everybody ws trying them out until some people got "shards" of fiberglass in their eyes. The fiberglass stick will in time have very small pieces of it "breaking off", and it had a short lifespan after some musicians complained about getting fiberglass in there face and eyes.....so be carefulif ur going to usethem...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:16 pm

Vaya JC!
I remember them back in the 70's when LP introduced them, I bought a pair of the thin ones, and experienced the 'sharding' of them. I wound up borrowing an idea that I noticed Manny Oquendo and other Timbale players used, and that was to put some tape on them (the striking area of the stick). But they just grew too old quickly. I can't say that I would buy another pair in this lifetime, hey but to each their own!
Suerte!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby zaragemca » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:33 pm

Saludos,ok brother Rey, you play to the left,..the position of the bells which I used is little different than yours,(but you could have the reason for it),..Are you using the Cymbal to the left for Dry/shot?..Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1133476505
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby TampabayRey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:44 am

Thanks for all the info. Dr. Zaragemca, not having a teacher to correct me ( builds bad habits). I position the bells where it feels relaxing for me. I'm still looking for a teacher but no luck. If it wasn't for you guys. I would be completely lost. Alway great to hear from you all. God Bess.
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:53 pm

YO TBRay...have u tried to find "Gumbi Ortiz"? He lives in your area..type his name into Google and see if u can find him that way...this is his photo...maybe he is a 'teacher'...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... mbi_ortiz2
JohnnyConga

Next

Return to Timbales