Pearl MQ Timbales & fiberglass sticks - Are they worth the money?

Forum fully dedicated to the instrument

Postby TampabayRey » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:46 pm

No luck Jc. I tried some time ago, No response. I'm trying to get in contact with a guy in Orlando. It's a bit far to drive, but I heard he is pretty good. Hopefully he'll call me back.
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:16 pm

I guess Gumbi is not a teacher....goto to
LatinoProjekt.com that is his site....try that way....maybe he will respond...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby TampabayRey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:43 am

Jc, I got a hold of Gumbi and has agree to be my mentor. I'm so happy. We spend about an hour talking. Thanks again my brother. Still looking forward to your DVD. :D
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby lurigancho » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:07 am

HI Everyone , I was very interested in the MQ timbs, Ive tested 4 sets ,the cascara sound is great, I played the MQ next to an LP T.P.the sound on the drums (MQ) specially on the hembra is way brighter than the LP's, the LP's got more tone both tuned w/same tension, due to the steel shell the MQ has,LP has stainless steel (drier sound)and the bearing edge on the MQ is Thinner (higher pitch)This dissapointed me cause I was excited to get this timbales. I wish theres was a "Perfect" timbales for ME. 1.MQ cascara sound 2.Lp drum sound(hembra) 3. JCR's rimshots.

Saludos de un Peruano para todos los Hermanos Latinos.
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby SkinDeep » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:13 am

THAT WAS GOOD LOOKING OUT JC, I SEE WHY YOU'VE BEEN BLESSED...SUAVE.
MOFORIBALE AL TAMBO!!!
SkinDeep

Postby Raymond » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:51 pm

Lurigancho,

Trust me the MQs sound better. You have to see what "generation of Tito Puentes" you check. (The older versions are thicker shells than the current ones). Also, the heads. The factory head of the LP Tito Puentes are "smooth white" that tend to have warmer tones and the MQs come with Remo Ambassador Clear that give you more overtones.

I am a Pearl endorser and the only thing that I think LP edges the MQs is some of the stand hardware that does not have a "buttery feel" when you work with it like the LP stand. (Already made the recommendation).

I will recommend to get them anytime. (Priced much better).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby lurigancho » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:31 pm

Thanx Raymond. Your right the MQ has more overtones. I play alot of cumbia patterns on the hembra .How do you describe the hembra sound on your MQ steel timbales.
lurigancho
lurigancho

Postby Raymond » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:28 pm

Lurigancho,

The sound of the hembra in the MQs? Well, for starters if you have Ambassador Clears you are not going to get that "fat sloppy hembra" like you will get with a coated head or with the darker Remo Emperors. However, if the sound could be obtained but with the fact of the steel and the clear Ambassadors you will have a slight overtone. You still get the sound you want in the MQs but have to "play with the tuning."

I always say that if you want that "fat sloppy hembra" all you have to do is get black Remo Emperors and you will get it. (I had them once in my old LP Tito Puentes but since I wanted a more modern sound I got into Ambassadors...)

(Hard to explain and some of these things go unnoticed by most people and you have to carefully listen to it).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby mcraghead » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:26 pm

Man, this thread has been going on for a long time...There's nothing wrong with that though. :D

I finally got around to having my instructor show me how to tune my MQs. They sound much better now, not that they sounded bad before. I always play his Matadors when I have my lesson. The MQs are definately a much more sturdy drum. When I play a cascara on his LPs they wobble and shake. The drums themselved sound okay I guess. I'm still not good enough to have a definative opinion on the sound, just the quality.

I don't think you can go wrong with the MQs: solid, nice cascara sound, space for playing cascara, etc...No need in me rehashing what's already been said. :cool:
Michael K. Craghead

"Nunca Pescao, Siempre Tiburon"
mcraghead

Previous

Return to Timbales